On 27/03/2024 at 15:54, francypants said:

Last year we bought our eldest grandson a Toyota Yaris for his 18th birthday.  His insurance is £3,500 fully comp ( which he paid for himself )

Up until two weeks ago he lived in Barnsley, now he's renting an apartment in Sheffield with secured car parking space and his insurance Co wanted another £700  !   He's managed to find another company who will cover him fully comp a little bit cheaper but it's still a silly amount of money.  He's a very sensible person studying Particle Physics and Quantum Physics at Sheffield Uni  ..... not a young tear arser but insurance companies tar them all at that age with the same brush.  Unfortunately to get on the ladder and build up his own No Claims Bonus he has to grit his teeth and pay these silly premiums for the first few years.

Unfortunately thre reality is that he is 4  times more likely to be  killed or seriously injured than the average driver.

the vastest majority of young drivers  even the sensible  ones (lads or lasses) have  a few  'bumps'  in their first few years of driving ,  hopefully just their  pride and the odd bumper or light  damaged ...  

On 24/03/2024 at 18:33, sheffborn&bred said:

I've just been watching this programme and boy racers have been pulled over and given warnings, tickets etc for wheel spinning etc at their usual weekend meet up.

How come wheel spinning boy racers do this most nights inside  the asda carpark at drakehouse under the noses of moss way police  and I've not seen any police apprehend the boy racers yet , and I'm there most nights?

You a boy racer then ? 

On 24/03/2024 at 19:14, The_DADDY said:

Because SYP are a joke and they don't give a toss is my bet. 

To much paperwork I reckon

On 27/03/2024 at 15:54, francypants said:

Last year we bought our eldest grandson a Toyota Yaris for his 18th birthday.  His insurance is £3,500 fully comp ( which he paid for himself )

Up until two weeks ago he lived in Barnsley, now he's renting an apartment in Sheffield with secured car parking space and his insurance Co wanted another £700  !   He's managed to find another company who will cover him fully comp a little bit cheaper but it's still a silly amount of money.  He's a very sensible person studying Particle Physics and Quantum Physics at Sheffield Uni  ..... not a young tear arser but insurance companies tar them all at that age with the same brush.  Unfortunately to get on the ladder and build up his own No Claims Bonus he has to grit his teeth and pay these silly premiums for the first few years.

But that's the unfortunate issue.   Changing circumstances equals different risk factors.

It's all just number crunching, but ultimately moving from small town to big city with bigger and more complex roads, far more traffic, different crime stats and and a thousand and one other adjustments all add to the calculations on the likelihood of them having an accident, damage or theft.