'I Can Take Myself Dancing…'

Miley Cyrus knows how to cheer herself up!

Flowers is a very popular song right now, listing all the good things Miley can do when she doesn’t have a partner. Are you in that situation (or have a partner who doesn’t want to take you dancing) and would love to ‘take yourself dancing’ but don’t know where to go?

Modern Jive is a fun, easy-to learn style with a great social atmosphere. It’s a partner dance, but we move around in the classes, and almost everyone swaps partners with every track, so you don’t need to bring a partner. You’ll soon get to know plenty of people there.

Don’t be put off by the high-energy ballroom jive you see on Strictly – this slows things down considerably. ‘Flowers’ is a song that we’re dancing to a lot lately, so that gives you an idea of the kind of tempo we are comfortable with.

No need to make appointments, beginners lessons start at 7.30-7.40ish on Tuesday nights at BoogieNightz Jive (Eckington Civic Centre) or Ceroc (Tapton Hall, Fulwood), or Wednesday nights at Blitz Jive (Crookes Social Club, Mulehouse Lane). It’s the same style whatever the name, and we all go to each others’ freestyles on Friday or Saturday nights.

Blitz is my favourite – on an average week we have more dancers and I think better dancers, though there are good dancers at all three.

It’s Spring, and an ideal time to shake off that winter hibernation and go out dancing. See you on the dancefloor soon!

Oh if only I had the legs for it.

I can do the windmill by myself after 7 pints.