Spice related crisis

I haven't heard of "ras-el-hanout " either. What exactly is it used for ? Is it from Asian cooking ? I would go to Abbeydale road too. (Only cos that's where my local Asian foodshops are. There's about a good 2 or 3 from London Rd up to 24 hr Tesco.)

I've seen one Tesco in Leeds stocking lots of ethnic foodstuff, which was great ! They had some really good foreign brands as well which you only see in ethnic foodshops but never on the high street type supermarkets.

I would try and find it in an Asian shop because they usually stock typical domestic brands which are a lot effective than the ones chosen for the supermarkets. Which is normally less popular in the ethnic communities. All except that Tesco in Leeds. :D

According to the link to recipe from disco cat, sumac seeds are not in it.The ingredients are nothing special should be easy to get that lot in Sheffield.

According to the link to recipe from disco cat, sumac seeds are not in it.The ingredients are nothing special should be easy to get that lot in Sheffield.

It's one of those concoction of spices where everyone does it slightly different. Some have sumac, some don't.

I'm heading to the shops in the Spital Hill area tomorrow, so will let you know if I have any luck there.

No luck on Spital Hill.

Have you managed to get any yet Nick?

Not yet, Waitrose do sell a version of it, but it only has about half the real ingredients in it, so it won't be that authentic. I'm going to have a long walk up London Road on Saturday I think I might find some there.

Spice, is that the stuff that they take in 'Dune' that makes your eyes bright blue?

Yes, I'm doing a leg of lamb then later I'm folding space to Kaitain to invite Shaddam IV round for a game of trivial persuits :)

Try the asian shop next to abbeydale picture house and the seat garage. They have all there spices and ingredients imported and I have managed to get all kinds of things that I have been unable to get elsewhere

Ingredients

2 cinnamon sticks, broken into several pieces

1 tbsp cloves

1 tbsp coriander seeds

1 tbsp cumin seeds

1 tbsp fenugreek

1 tbsp fennel seeds

1 tbsp mustard seeds

25g/1¾oz dried Damascan rose petals (available at spice shops and Middle Eastern food stores)

Method

1. Place all the ingredients in a metal frying pan and place over gentle heat. Cook until the seeds begin to pop in the pan. Toss as they start to pop and cook for a couple more minutes, taking care not to let them burn.

2. Remove from pan and grind the mixture in a coffee grinder, mini food processor or pestle and mortar while still warm.

3. Store in an airtight container for one to two weeks.

I bought some last week from the fruit and veg shop on Carterknowle Road(near Cherry Tree pub)

Hi, i bought it online form 'monuza spices and oils.' It is alike my mothers recipe.

There are different Ras el Hanout, for chikcken, fish and beef, so there is no an uniform formulation, but at you can got the original ones. I forget their website...