New Costco Opening in Sheffield 29/06/06

Does anyone know whether Costco is coming to Sheffield? I have heard that they may be moving to a site near Meadowhall in the near future but no-one has been able to confirm this. Would the council website have any info?

For people who are not familiar with Costco, it is an american based warehouse store (a bit like Makro but better in value and quality IMO)

Mmmm the muffins and criossants.....

It was in last week's Sheff Telegraph. They've applied for planning permission for the old Yorkshire Electric building just off the Parkway. I think it was the place that Ikea were trying for.

I've been to the ones in Oldham and in Derby and they're not bad. They source a lot of stuff from the USA so it's nice to see things that you can't find anywhere else over here. Like Makro, there are some bargains to be had but it's easy to go mad and buy a load of things only to find them cheaper in the supermarkets. My sister swears by the meat products though.

Unlike Makro, you don't have to be in business to register but you do have to pay a yearly fee - something like £25 for a card.

I think that it would be great to have a store in Sheffield. I regularly use the Leeds store and always get good bargains. As mentioned above the meat products are excellent as are they gigantic bakery products. The electrical equipment is always top notch and they give great guarantees. Oh and finally they do great deals when you change tyres. a full set of 185/60 14H for only 135 pounds and they were michelin energys!!!

Originally posted by Cols

I've been to the ones in Oldham and in Derby and they're not bad. They source a lot of stuff from the USA so it's nice to see things that you can't find anywhere else over here. Like Makro, there are some bargains to be had but it's easy to go mad and buy a load of things only to find them cheaper in the supermarkets. My sister swears by the meat products though.

Unlike Makro, you don't have to be in business to register but you do have to pay a yearly fee - something like £25 for a card.

Hm, according to the CostCo website:

Coscto is an exclusive wholesale cash and carry membership warehouse club and is not open to the general public. Membership is required. You are eligible for trade membership if you are a bonafide business owner/manager who can provide evidence of trading

So, which is it? :)

Guest poppins

Anyone can shop there for a fee, but the fee's annual, so it's only a savings if you shop a lot, businesses just have to pay a lesser fee thats the onlt difference, i don't shop there as i don't think i should have to pay Costcos a fee to spend my money there as well.

Originally posted by gribz

So, which is it? :)

Costco offer two membership types: trade and regular. Trade members need to be owners/managers of a business to join and get earlier opening hours. Regular members used to have to be working as one of a number of approved professions (and show proof) to join, but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Costco and Sams club (Walmart owned) and BJ's are the top wholesale clubs here in the USA. I couldn't shop without them.They all offer great deals on food in bulk,cleaning products,paper products etc.Jewellery and electronics are always a big seller too especially around the holidays.Membership is an annual fee for silver or gold members( with gold members getting cash back for their purchases) But as it was mentioned you don't have to be retail to join:)

Costco is coming to sheffield and will be built on the parkway industrial estate. i can confirm this since i was present at the council planning meeting in which planning permission was granted

Archived