Castle Dyke Playing Fields

The issue here is as someone has previoulsy stated the COUNCIL.

What on earth is this Council up to regarding Green Space's??? Just reading thread's alone, reveals rumours of development or sale of Green Spaces. I can actually see both sides of the coin regarding this thread.

What is apparent is the fact that we are losing Valuable Green Space in one way or another, which can never be replaced.....

Apparently Sheffield spends £7million a year on parks and open spaces, compared with the less green Leeds who spend £50 million. At a recent meeting the head of the department in Sheffield said she saw no problem with selling off or developing part of an open space if the money went to pay for improvement of the rest. So the Council makes up the shortfall by selling bits off rather than putting its money where its supposed policy is. Unfortunately it will sooner or later run out of bits to sell, and we'll have lost a lot of our green spaces.:loopy:

Apparently Sheffield spends £7million a year on parks and open spaces, compared with the less green Leeds who spend £50 million. At a recent meeting the head of the department in Sheffield said she saw no problem with selling off or developing part of an open space if the money went to pay for improvement of the rest. So the Council makes up the shortfall by selling bits off rather than putting its money where its supposed policy is. Unfortunately it will sooner or later run out of bits to sell, and we'll have lost a lot of our green spaces.:loopy:

Would the Head of Department at the recent meeting be no other than the :

Head of Parks and Countryside?

I think that's right Camz. To be fair I think she saw it as the about the only way to get anything done in many cases, not the preferred way of doing things, but the lack of funding left little choice.

Because of lack of funding, Does this make it right for the Council to Dispose of irreplaceable Green Spaces?

106 Monies releases a small percentage back into the area for improvements, whilst the Council reap a Substantial cash flow from any sale of land.

Don't misunderstand me Camz, I agree with you completely. I just think she's between a rock and a hard place, put there by the Council who crow about their achievements winning awards from Europe but not being willing to pay the price, and expecting their officers to find a way round it. It's part of the legacy of (and here I'll probably be howled down by our resident councillors) the World Student Games, because the Leisure budget has had to pick up the tab for the ongoing debt payments for years.

• 2 months later...
No what right do they have to fence it off.

If Birkdale pay for the use of this land and for its upkeep why shouldn't they fence it off?

I'm sure that most people do clear up after their pooches and put any other rubbish in a bin, but it is a sad reality that a lot of people would not be this responsible. Why should the school have to constantly check the ground for whoopsies and any other offending items on the grounds.

Based on the figures in this thread, Birkdale have paid £245K for a 125 year lease, ie. less than £2K a year

In just 40 year time with inflation, what will that be in real terms? In 100 years time what will that be in real terms? PEANUTS!

The Council has tied itself to a poor contract which will be of no benefit at all to future generations of Sheffielders and scant little if any to the current generation

Exactly.

This was a Labour run councl selling out.

Some body in the council should be held to account.

They seem to have been lead down the garden path and consented to the errection of a fence to be put in as part of the deal.

What have the locals gained from this and the city in general.

Archived