Sign in to follow this  

.cab file nightmare

Every Cd i try to install with a .cab extension doesn't work. I have tried many CDs and have 3 drives!!!

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Ta!

Do you mean when you're installing the software the install fails with a message along the lines of "can't find file x in y.cab"?

If so, try creating an empty folder somewhere on your PC, copy the entire CD to this folder and try installing the software from this new folder.

This is with every CD i have! I tried doing your suggestion with office and it still can't read the .Cab file.

I am at work at the mo and just can't get on for trying :(

It depends how much you need the info & why.

If it's not encrypted you could always try opening the cab file with 7-Zip or something to grab the necessary files. If you need the cab file on the CD but can open it & read with 7-zip then you could probably cludge the CD back together with a replaced (by you) restored cab file?

Is it not possible to solve this problem so i CAN read cab files from CDs beacuse installing is going to become a Knightmare... I have 20+ CDs to install.

What can be causing this stupid problem?

Have you tried any of the CDs in another PC?

They all work fine in a variety of other machines. Its just this one. :(

What error message do you receive?

Its dependant upon the cab its reading

When installing my graphics card i get

Error 1335. The cabinet file 'data1.cab' required for this installation is corropt of cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CDROM or a problem with this package.

However, installing office, photoshop and a variety of other software i use at work will not accpet the read of cab files and will display a similar message everytime.

Sounds like the Windows installer has somehow screwed up it's ability to read from cab files.

If you have your copy of Windows to hand, from the run box (Start -> Run) try typing

sfc /scannow

This will check all system files & replace any corrupt ones. Failing that I'm at a loss apart from suggesting a re-install...

Failing that I'm at a loss apart from suggesting a re-install...

Noooooo.....

Try fitting a different CDROM drive (and/or IDE cable) before reinstalling (oh, check the CD jumper settings aren't conflicting with anything else - master/slave - IDE channel etc).

If this doesn't work, format away:D

Are you running Norton? A quick google search suggests this wonderful program can cause this problem.