Ear Mites in Dogs Ear

I think my spaniels got ear mites.. She's scratching her right ear all the time and shaking her head.. I had a look at them last night and its full of black gunk!!

Any advice on how to treat them and what is the best product to buy..

Thanks

You need to clean them. Try a warm damp cloth and gently try and get rid of as much gunk as possible. Make sure the inside of the ear isn't hot or swollen as that means its infected, take to the vets if it is. You can also get something from a vets without an appointment, just ask the receptionists they'll be able to help if you need something to help keep them clean.

Epi otic or something like that.

Get it from the vets for a few quid or try Pets at home - squirt it in, mush it around gently and with cotton wool stick your finger around remove the crap.

Standard first aid stock when i had my cockers, its all the vet will use initially to get them clean.

Otodine is the name of the ear wash prescribed by our vets to keep the ears clean but I don't know if it will get rid of the mites.

Epi otic or something like that.

Get it from the vets for a few quid or try Pets at home - squirt it in, mush it around gently and with cotton wool stick your finger around remove the crap.

Standard first aid stock when i had my cockers, its all the vet will use initially to get them clean.

Just ordered some, thanks for the advice i'll give it a go :)

If you want to speed up clearing up ear mites, get your vet to prescribe Stronghold flea treatment, which also kills ear mites. You'll still need to clean out the gunk, but at least they won't be still hanging around in the corners that you can't reach as you clean the ear out.

When you do clear her ears, go gently. It's really easy to inflame the ears still more by rubbing too hard or digging around in the delicate bits, and if you go too deep you can damage the ear drum too. Be particularly careful of abrading the inside of the ears, so no fingernails, jewellery, rough cloths or whatever making contact, and limiting the number of times that you clean if possible.