Anyone remember Ernest and Ellen Mills?

Hello folks,

New to this site, so here goes..

Looking for anyone who can remember or recall an Ernest and Ellen Mills.. I am looking to do a family tree, and found out after my Dad died that he was in fact Adopted in Sheffield.

My father was born on 29 December 1929 and died on 13 February 2011.

A friend so kindly found out that my fathers biological parents names where Ernest and Ellen Mills, and that Ellen's maiden name was Walker.. and that is all I know!

A long shot, but if anyone can help me further then that would be great.:)

Edited by Monkeynuts21

Hi there, Thanks for the reply..

Hmmmmm? Strange indeed.. I wonder if they relocated after the adoption? Can I ask where you found the info? As yet I have not looked into any census records or ancestry sites, but are awaiting an application to look at my fathers Adoption file from Gov.UK..

His mother must have went by her middle name?

Edited by Monkeynuts21

A Ernest and Ellen Mills lived at 58 Gleadless Crescent in the 40's 50's and 60's .

Ernest was an olympic cyclist and held World tandem records , he was a little mester in the cutlery trade, also a dedicated communist as well as a gentleman and scholar.

Hello Samssong.

Thank you so much for that info about Ernest and Ellen Mills.. After reading your post I looked online and found a black and white photograph of Ernest at work as a little Mester..and my jaw dropped as he is the image of my father as my father got older!! So it looks like we have found right Ellen n Ernest!

Amazing to think he was an Olympic cyclist as well as a well known little mester.

Did you know them personally, and if they had any more family?

Thank you again for your help :)

Hi Hillsbro, that's Brill..thank you for that..Strange looking at it in black and white..Becoming all the more real now. Just hope that they had other children besides my father, as it would be amazing to possibly make contact with their decendants..

Cheers again :)

Glad to be able to help a little. Oddly enough, the "1939 Register" confirms the name and address and gives Charles' date of birth as 22 September 1894, but there is no mention of an Ellen. Also at the address are Gertrude Mills, born 13 January 1894, and "Teresa Perry" - here is a scan. There is a local 1920 marriage record of Charles E. Mills and Gertrude Heathcote, and local 1894 birth records for Charles Ernest Mills and Gertrude Heathcote.

I just identified Teresa Perry from the 1911 census - she was Gertrude's aunt

Edited by hillsbro
Addition

Hello Samssong.

Thank you so much for that info about Ernest and Ellen Mills.. After reading your post I looked online and found a black and white photograph of Ernest at work as a little Mester..and my jaw dropped as he is the image of my father as my father got older!! So it looks like we have found right Ellen n Ernest!

Amazing to think he was an Olympic cyclist as well as a well known little mester.

Did you know them personally, and if they had any more family?

Thank you again for your help :)

Ernest Mills was my mentor as a youngster ,he started me into club cycling and racing.

He explained his political beliefs to me and the basics have followed me all my life I am thank full to say .

They had relations called Taylor who lived on the Manor in Sheffield one of them being a Keith Taylor who will be 73 if alive today.