Not your average home brew

Hi everyone,

I have really started getting into brewing these delicious slightly alcoholic natural fizzy drinks. Unlike traditional brewing you don't need to sterilise, it doesn't take long to brew, it can be really simple to start up, and you can use the same culture for making something that taste like beer, fruity beer, or almost wine.

The culture I use has many names, from Tibicos, to California bees, beer bees, and water kefir. To brew something you just add a pouch full of the starter culture to whatever you are brewing add some minerals a slice of lemon leave it for up to three days then bottle. You keep the culture and get to use it again, it grows so you can brew more in time.

You can brew any natural sugar source as long as it isn't too acidic, things like grape juice, cranberry juice, mashed bananas, coconut water, apple juice, berry juice, or simply sugar dissolved in water.

A few things to note:

These are bio-live drinks, they will get more bitter over time and will turn to vinegar after a few weeks.

It doesn't matter how much sugar you put in, you don't eat the sugar the microbes do, if you add less sugar you will kill the microbes.

It isn't strongly alcoholic, unlike standard brewing you aren't just using one type of microbe that produces mainly alcohol, these cultures contain both yeasts and bacteria to produce a whole range of nutrients, including b-vitamins.

I also brew kombutcha - fermented tea.

I do also have some reusable dairy fermenting culture if you want to make some unique yoghurt!

They are bio live so can help to improve anything from digestion to mood and certain mental health conditions. I make no guarantee, there is some science behind this, but it's not well understood yet.

If you are interested please PM me, I am happy to share my knowledge, experience and cultures.