Reduced renal capacity in elderly dog

Hi - I have mongrel dog called Ben - smaller than a lab but bigger than a terrier. He's a sandy coated cross lurcher / whippet border terrier thing, probably. The vet's advised I now need to feed Ben renal food. Ben seems to be trying to drink more water, needs to wee more,often during the night, and it seems his renal function is reduced. It would appear that I need to feed him food which provides a different kind of protein to he does not have to separate it out so much. Have others had any experience of this and might there be food recommendations? (He like a steak now and again but I guess I'll have to knock that off.) All insights & observations gratefully received. With thanks. Jonathan

You will find a few threads on diet in renal disease if you go here and type 'renal failure' into the search box.

It is a case of finding a food with good quality, digestible protein that is easier to breakdown and to be excreted. Ask your vet what percentage of protein (dry weight) would be suitable. You can then search on that website (Dog Food Directory). My own view is that a good quality wet food is better than dry for a dog in renal failure. This is because it does not dehydrate the dog in the way that dry food does. If you wish to use dry food, soak it in boiled, cooled water for half an hour before serving.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

Edited by ccit

Has the vet checked its not diabetic?

We have an elderly diabetic cat that has some renal problems. We give renal biscuits with wet 'ordinary' cat food. Renal wet food made him constipated and he had to have to two general anaesthetics to clear his blockage. Our vet agreed (based on blood samples) this was the best for our cat.

Take advice from the vet.

Did the vet mention any particular food? The usual ones are Royal Canin and Hill's Science Diet Renal. The latter has a very low protein content of 14.8% dry weight. Royal Canin Renal is similar. The use of precription diets is explained here and they do not review very well.

As mentioned, if you could ask your vet what percentage and type of protein is acceptable and you post back, we might be able to find something suitable. However, I don't know of any commercial dog food that has such a low level as these two products.

Edited by ccit

Our pet is a cat not a dog. We get the food from our vets, its the same price as on the internet so was convenient for us. The biscuits are Royal Canin so I think the sachets were too.

I don't think its just the protein that is different in the food. I think there is much lower salt content.

I would get the dog checked to make sure you know its just renal problems. Excessive drinking and urinating is a sign of diabetes. I knew this in humans but never put two and two together when we took the cat to the vets. We knew something wasn't right but never suspected he was diabetic. His renal function improved once his diabetes was under control.

If the vet has made the diagnosis of renal failure by use of a blood test or urinalysis, a raised blood sugar should have been picked up. However, it is always worth checking if unsure.

The following products have a protein level of 15% to 23% with no red (controversial) ingredients which includes salt:

Barking Heads Fat Dog Slim

Burns - Alert/Organic/Original/Sensitive+ Duck and Brown Rice

Country Kibble - Adult/Senior & Light

JB’s Light & Senior

Lily’s Kitchen Grain-Free

Luath’s

Moorlands – Adult Salmon & Potato/Adult Turkey & Rice

Nature’s Way Mature & Light

Nutrix Working Dog

Skinner’s – Adult Sensitive Lamb & Rice/Field & Trial Salmon & Rice/Field and Trial Turkey & Rice

Trophy Premium Holistic – Large and Small Bite

Wafcol Senior Salmon & Potato

Westcott Adult Complete

They can all be found here and you can see which has the lowest protein by clicking on them - the figure is given on the dials at the bottom of the review. If you decide to go with one of them, please copy the list of ingredients and analysis and take it to your vet for an opinion.

As I mentioned before, soak the food and crumble it up before serving in order to prevent dehydration.

You are missing the point entirely......

I said the cat was taken in as he was 'off it' ie a bit under the weather. It turned out he was diabetic. The tests showed his renal function was compromised but that improved significantly when his diabetes was under control. You are getting them the wrong way round, hence me suggesting you take the dog in for a full health check to see if it is diabetic ie the renal issue isn't cause by or aggravated by diabetes.

The vet was quite amazed at the improvement in our cats renal function once he was stabilised. That was a year or two ago. He is coming up to his seventeenth birthday now.