Do I need a special qualification to do translation work?

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether you need a specific qualification to do translating work or whether a degree in the language is enough? If it's necessary to get a translation qualification then does anyone have any experience of doing this either in Sheffield or online? Any info (ie course duration/costs etc) would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty certain that in most cases you DO need a translation qualification. I've got a French and German degree from Uni of Sheffield and have been unable to find any translation/interpreting jobs where a language degree is enough on its own. its a bit of a pain, I know!:loopy:

p.s. transaltion MAs are usually one year - costs would depend on whether you could get funding or not. if not its very expensive, thats all I know. But I suppose you could get an alternative translation qualification in a non-university establishment....

hmmmm....yeah i thought that might be the case :(

Seems ridiculous slaving away at a language for 4 years to then have to do yet more exams just to be able to use it! I had thought about the MA Translation at Sheffield Uni but as my only source of funding would be the bank, I think it would be a bit of a gamble...

Oh well, I'll keep looking anyway :)

You might be able to get a large translation agency to take you on as an "intern" ie on a short term contract to see how you get on and if it goes well you might get taken on as a trainee. I think you'll find that SDL (with an office in Sheffield) run such a scheme. But even for that your chances are much better with a translation qualification.

If you can't afford to carry on full-time study, how about trying to find any sort of work abroad to pay your way whilst further improving your langauge skills? While there, you could do a distance learning course: City of London Uni, for instance, do a course to prepare you for the Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation.

Thanks Sauerkraut - that's really helpful. I think I need to think about how much I really want to do it before I embark on anything big though... I only really wanted to do it part-time as a way of keeping the language up and making some extra pennies in the process so moving abroad again isn't really an option! Will definitely check out the links though. Thanks for your help!!

The Army are looking for ex service personnel to do translation work in Arabic, Pashto, Fasi and Dari. As you will expect they are all areas around Afganstan and Iran.

Three year contract with 15 months intensive training down South and then two, six month tours.

If you can do the job well, who is going to ask for your certificates?

Yes you are going to need a qualification especialy to reak the rewards of it, Local Authorities are very strick but pay well?

good luck

I'm interested in this line of work too. I'm studying International Business and French at Hallam...am actually repeating some modules I failed in my final year. but I'm only expecting to get a 3rd in my degree which isn't good enough to do a masters!!! anyone got any suggestions on how else i could get into it???

I would have thought the best course of ction would be to phone the translation / interpreting agencies up and find out.

I know that SCAIS do work for the Hospitals in Sheffield, they might be worth a try.

I am wondering if you know exactly what degrees do you need to become translator?

I heard about SDL and SCAIS....do you know other comapnies like SDL that work in sheffield? I want to start as a translator here for German and Romanian languages. So if you know something, please let me know.

Thank you.