Up and coming areas

You will only a terrace house for that money in walkley etc. Too much when you can buy a 3 bed semi in handsworth, woodhouse mill for 150k and decent areas as well. Like for like there is no comparison, garage, large garden, off road parking bigger better house .....

The OP is looking for up and coming areas for young people. Handsworth and Woodhouse are both miles out in the sticks and more family/retired people oriented. Obviously you can get a bigger house for your money there.

Page Hall is a s h i t hole of the highest order, full of Roma and trouble - avoid at all costs. Tinsley is one of the most polluted places in Europe - avoid at all costs. Firvale is very muslim - your call. Winn Gardens is full of chavs and jakeys - avoid at all costs. They may all be friendly areas (??) but there are many nicer areas to choose from.

A 3-bed in Crookes in good condition will cost at least £180k.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 00:15 ----------

Page Hall is a s h i t hole of the highest order, full of Roma and trouble - avoid at all costs. Tinsley is one of the most polluted places in Europe - avoid at all costs. Firvale is very muslim - your call. Winn Gardens is full of chavs and jakeys - avoid at all costs. They may all be friendly areas (??) but there are many nicer areas to choose from.

I think it's fair to say this poster was either joking or trolling by naming the grimmest spots in Sheffield.

pagehall is not that bad, tinsley ok for m1, firvale ok for schools. was down pagehall other day talking to someone and they love it. winn gardens is the place for a good investment. dont let people put you off these areas there all good and friendly

Have you been smoking the crack they sell in these areas? These areas are by far the worst Sheffield has to offer!

OP please ignore the above post as all the areas they mention are very bad areas indeed. What their motivation is, I cannot begin to guess. Anyhow, Meersbrook is good, but, if a little expensive, try Heeley, next door to Meersbrook, it may have school catchment issues (see another recent thread about this). Sharrow is cheaper and a slightly less good area but is vibrant and close to Hunters Bar. Try Crookes and Walkley also, but my gut feeling is that Heeley is the most up and coming - not only because of a new secondary school being built (check chatchment area again) but also because gentrification has nowhere else to go in that area.

I agree with all this...as others have mentioned 150k max is not a huge budget, gets you a modest 3 bed in meersbrook or sharrow...crookes forget it. I saw a couple for around 130k but no outdoor space.

good call on heeley...and up to gleadless. Be a bit cheaper up there.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:57 ----------

You will only a terrace house for that money in walkley etc. Too much when you can buy a 3 bed semi in handsworth, woodhouse mill for 150k and decent areas as well. Like for like there is no comparison, garage, large garden, off road parking bigger better house .....

South side???

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 11:58 ----------

Hillsborough or Walkley.

Could do worse. Is walkley up and coming for young people tho?

Walkley has been supposedly up and coming for young people for about 10 years. A lot of young people live there (students and ex-students) but in terms of shops, restaurants, things to do, is it hasn't really come on much in that time. It is 10 minutes to town tho and your neighbours will probably be young. I'm talking about the roads just past Commonside and off Howard Road/South Road. It's basically Crookes but with an S6 postcode, so 20% cheaper.

Gentrification in Sheffield moves at a snails pace, the same areas have been mentioned for decades now and the value for money suburbs remain essentially the same. Or to put it another way, if you're waiting for Sharrow to be gentrified be prepred for a long wait. For the budget mentioned there are really only two areas worth considering: Walkey at the Crookes end and the areas round Meersbrook such as Heeley and Norton Lees. Meersbrook itself is perhaps out of reach although the op could compromise on size and perhaps still get something near the park. The other areas mentioned in the thread are either too far out of town or too run down to be considered.

Have you been smoking the crack they sell in these areas? These areas are by far the worst Sheffield has to offer!

there are good and bad in all areas, people i have met round these areas have always been friendly

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 13:49 ----------

OP please ignore the above post as all the areas they mention are very bad areas indeed. What their motivation is, I cannot begin to guess. Anyhow, Meersbrook is good, but, if a little expensive, try Heeley, next door to Meersbrook, it may have school catchment issues (see another recent thread about this). Sharrow is cheaper and a slightly less good area but is vibrant and close to Hunters Bar. Try Crookes and Walkley also, but my gut feeling is that Heeley is the most up and coming - not only because of a new secondary school being built (check chatchment area again) but also because gentrification has nowhere else to go in that area.

there are good and bad in all areas, people i have met round these areas have always been friendly and yes i have lived in some of these areas

Edited by backwardben
added

Walkley has been supposedly up and coming for young people for about 10 years. A lot of young people live there (students and ex-students) but in terms of shops, restaurants, things to do, is it hasn't really come on much in that time. It is 10 minutes to town tho and your neighbours will probably be young. I'm talking about the roads just past Commonside and off Howard Road/South Road. It's basically Crookes but with an S6 postcode, so 20% cheaper.

I don't think walkleys a patch on meersbrook for shops, bars, restaurants etc...I don't know why young people would want to live there aside from the fact it's cheap.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 15:10 ----------

Gentrification in Sheffield moves at a snails pace, the same areas have been mentioned for decades now and the value for money suburbs remain essentially the same. Or to put it another way, if you're waiting for Sharrow to be gentrified be prepred for a long wait. For the budget mentioned there are really only two areas worth considering: Walkey at the Crookes end and the areas round Meersbrook such as Heeley and Norton Lees. Meersbrook itself is perhaps out of reach although the op could compromise on size and perhaps still get something near the park. The other areas mentioned in the thread are either too far out of town or too run down to be considered.

Sharrow is getting gentrified...only have to look at the types of businesses moving in.

Mr pickles, Jaimeson's tea rooms

You are dead wrong about no change.

---------- Post added 31-01-2016 at 15:11 ----------

The antiques quarter!