How many generations in your family?

By the time the pedants and childish arguments desist I'll be down to 4 generations.. :)

Phew!

I thought the world would stop spinning. Very tense moment.

Hang on to your hat, its kicking off again!

When my granddaughter was born, she made the fifth generation, as, at that time, my grandma was still with us. My granddaughter's first Christmas was my grandma's last. I have a photo of my grandma holding my grandddaughter, her first great-great grandchild. It is bittersweet for me, as she passed away aged 84, a few months later, four weeks before my eldest grandson arrived.

When my granddaughter was born, she made the fifth generation, as, at that time, my grandma was still with us. My granddaughter's first Christmas was my grandma's last. I have a photo of my grandma holding my grandddaughter, her first great-great grandchild. It is bittersweet for me, as she passed away aged 84, a few months later, four weeks before my eldest grandson arrived.

Sadness and joy.... sorry to hear about your loss PT....

I think in generations to come there will be more and more generations alive at once with people living longer. I imagine a 100 years ago it was unusual to have 4 generations alive at the same time.. I understand that the Guinness Book of Records names 7 generations as the world record... I've advised my great aunt she has to live another twenty years so we can get a mention... She says she'll do her best :)

By the time the pedants and childish arguments desist I'll be down to 4 generations.. :)

And I might have gone from 2 to 3. :D

We're at the other end of the scale as it takes us 40 years to produce a generation, by which time everybody else has got through two. My daughter's great-grandfather was born in 1872 so he'd be doing pretty well to be still alive.

Sadness and joy.... sorry to hear about your loss PT....

I think in generations to come there will be more and more generations alive at once with people living longer. I imagine a 100 years ago it was unusual to have 4 generations alive at the same time.. I understand that the Guinness Book of Records names 7 generations as the world record... I've advised my great aunt she has to live another twenty years so we can get a mention... She says she'll do her best :)

Seven???? Goodness they would all have had to start very, very early to get that many generations in. (If each had their child at the earliest legal age, 16, then the seven generations would be

New born child, mother-16, grandmother 32, -great grandmother 48,great-great grandmother 64, great great great grandmother 80,and great great great great grandmother 94. I nearly fainted at the thought.)

And, thank you. yes I miss my little old granny, but it's now 14 years since she passed. It would have been her centenary year in 2017.

Edited by Plain Talker

Seven???? Goodness they would all have had to start very, very early to get that many generations in. (If each had their child at the earliest legal age, 16, then the seven generations would be

New born child, mother-16, grandmother 32, -great grandmother 48,great-great grandmother 64, great great great grandmother 80,and great great great great grandmother 94. I nearly fainted at the thought.)

And, thank you. yes I miss my little old granny, but it's now 14 years since she passed. It would have been her centenary year in 2017.

I was a dad at 15 that helped things along...