Towing legislation

Hi, im a bit confused has to what i can tow on my current licence (i passed in 2004).

Does the following mean i can to up to over 4 tonne?, i always thought i couldnt go above 3.5 tonne on my licence, cheers.

If you passed your test between 1 January, 1997 and January 2013 and you have a standard category B car licence, you can drive:

A vehicle of up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg) MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (a combined weight of 4,250kg in total)

A trailer of more than 750kg MAM providing it is no more than the unladen or 'kerb' weight of the towing vehicle (a combined weight of up to 3.5 tonnes in total)

You can tow 750kg anytime.

You can tow more than 750kg providing that the total of car + trailer + load does not exceed 3500kg

If you want to tow a load of 3500kg you need to have passed the additional test.

Edited by cgksheff

You can tow 750kg anytime.

You can tow more than 750kg providing that the total of car + trailer + load does not exceed 3500kg

Cheers, i just didnt get what it said no more than 4250kg with vehicle + trailer.

Reason i asked is because i was led to believe i wasnt allowed to tow anything on my licence!, then i read up i can tow some small caravans!

http://www.caravanchat.org.uk/2013/10/08/be-test-not-always-required-to-tow-caravans/

Seems its changed again since i passed my test, glad i qont be doing any more driving tests!:)

---------- Post added 26-05-2015 at 23:45 ----------

If you've passed your test since 19 January, 2013, you can tow:

Small trailers weighing up to 750kg

Trailers weighing up to 750kg so long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle isn't more than 3.5 tonnes

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 20:48 ----------

---------- Post added 28-05-2015 at 20:49 ----------

From a email from go compare.com, Since i passed before 19th January 2013 i can driver a up to a maximum of 4250 kg vehicle and trailer fully laden, with no more than 3500 kg unladen.

If you passed after this date you can only have 3500 kg altogether , fully laden.

So it does give me a little lee way but wouldnt want to risk going to near.

Theres some 4 berth caravans that are 1200 kg (MTPLM), so with some cars youd be looking under 3000 kg.

Seems theyve took even more what people can drive since when i passed.

People who passed pre 1996 are at a advantage overall. Heres a link that mentions about caravaning.

http://www.caravanchat.org.uk/2013/1...-tow-caravans/

Edited by czechroman

One simple extra towing rule for those on a B licence

The plated GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer must not total more than 3500 kg

That is plated weights not actual weights because licencing laws go on plated weights

Many of the Gov sites have missed off the word MAM