Sheffield Corporation Trams

england27

In September 2015 it will be 60 years since I worked as a Conductor on Sheffield Corporation trams.

I was C219 and worked on the Crookes - Handsworth route out of Tinsley Depot, this employment was only for six months so I had no chance to officially achieve one of my ambition's to drive a Tram.

My Driver was a Fred Wakefield and I recall he had a son called Gordon, they were happy days and I did get to drive a Tram when on Nights, between Woodseats and Beauchief.

Is there anyone still around that worked on the Trams at that time.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

I worked at East Bank bus garage with a driver who was an ex tram driver who we all called Silver. He told me some great stories of the war time on the trams and I was told he lost more trams in the war than anyone else. He said that he and his conductor had to take to the shelters on the first night of the blitz and when they returned to their tram all that was left was the bogies.

• 2 weeks later...
In September 2015 it will be 60 years since I worked as a Conductor on Sheffield Corporation trams.

I was C219 and worked on the Crookes - Handsworth route out of Tinsley Depot, this employment was only for six months so I had no chance to officially achieve one of my ambition's to drive a Tram.

My Driver was a Fred Wakefield and I recall he had a son called Gordon, they were happy days and I did get to drive a Tram when on Nights, between Woodseats and Beauchief.

Is there anyone still around that worked on the Trams at that time.

Gordon England (Scarborough)

Hi Gordon,My dad had a career as a tram conductor apart from some of the war years.Not sure when he retired.His depot was at Shoreham St down near St Mary's Church.I loved those old trams!!!

• 3 months later...
Hi Gordon,My dad had a career as a tram conductor apart from some of the war years.Not sure when he retired.His depot was at Shoreham St down near St Mary's Church.I loved those old trams!!!

hiya, a funny tale about trams were after the damage the flood made in millhouses park we were sent to repair the river walls, on our way home we would catch the tram i got off on the moor at the bottom of prince st, the others would travel to c/a in high st, there was one who lived on woodthorpe his name was roy vickers, and he could nod off at any time and one day he had fallen asleep on the top deck so the others left him, when the conductor woke him he was at tinsley or at another the other side of town.

Edited by willybite