Sign in to follow this  

Schools Rewards scheme

My child’s school has replaced the ‘rewards’ scheme with the ‘Always children’ scheme after complaints from some parents.

This scheme now excludes less abled children for example those who aren’t the top of the class every time and also less advantaged children such as those with Special needs. Instead rewarding the 'plodders' who find the work relatively easy and excluding those that don't fit into that category despite their best efforts to do the best they can despite their personal circumstances.

Is this fair? Or are the school being discriminatory against less advantaged children in their vision to promote their ‘high achievers/Always children’ at the cost of those who are average or need more time and help with their work?

I’m looking for a positive solution to this issue and welcome any comments so no sick or twisted comments please

I agree that to give rewards/prizes only to the high achievers is demoralising to those who work their socks off but struggle to achieve even the lowest standard. The problem with any reward scheme based on 'effort' is that 'effort' is virtually impossible to quantify objectively. As a teacher I always used to be wary of giving a 'grade' for effort on reports as it is so easy to be unfair. Most teachers tend to equate achievement with effort, which is unsound. One of our children always got 'A' for effort as the standard of his work was excellent but what the teachers didn't realise was that he could crack out a grade A project/essay in one evening or less, with very little effort. Others who had spent far longer and found it harder, tended to get Bs for both the project and the 'effort'.

However, now that we have indicated and target grades based on prior attainment data for each child, it should be possible to reward every child who consistently achieves or exceeds his or her target, regardless of aptitude. So children with special needs would be able to get rewards, but children who are bright but lazy are unlikely to.

The other thing which schools can do is give rewards for positive achievement other than in academic work - e.g. playing in a sports team, passing a music exam, volunteering, helping a new pupil to settle in, etc. If this is to work the staff (and pupils) need to agree in advance on an objective scale for credits, rather than leaving it to the discretion of form tutors.

The issue here is apparently this is in line with new policy as set by the current government however whether this is truly based on the said policy or whether this is the schools own interpretation of it remains to be seen. This is what I am trying to clarify as since this policy has been changed then regardless of the work submitted then the children are not being rewarded despite their best efforts which is then being discriminatory.

The ‘Always children’ are frequently obtaining countless ‘rewards’ as shown on the classroom wall chart whereas in direct contrast to this are the ‘average children’ and those with Special needs who are struggling to obtain more than two or three a term and their efforts aren’t simply ‘rewarded’ at all. So a child who is academically gifted and who can obtain an ‘A’ grade with the minimum amount of effort is praised however a child who is struggling and who may not quite achieve is not rewarded for their efforts, just where is both the logic in that and the sense. Through no fault of their own some children do struggle. If its like this now what’s going to happen at secondary level?

Also the amount of homework that children come home with now is rather worrying as well. This started at 6 years at my child's school. Maybe the day trips to Meadowhall and other pointless days out plus the Baker days which really need to be in the holidays as teachers get far too many anyway could be substituted with days in the classroom actually learning something worthwhile and being more productive.

The issue here is apparently this is in line with new policy as set by the current government however whether this is truly based on the said policy or whether this is the schools own interpretation of it remains to be seen. This is what I am trying to clarify as since this policy has been changed then regardless of the work submitted then the children are not being rewarded despite their best efforts which is then being discriminatory.
You have not explained very clearly what you mean here. Which 'new policy' are you referring to? Before it was implemented, what rewards system was in place in your child's school? Have you had no communication from the school about any changes to this?

The ‘Always children’ are frequently obtaining countless ‘rewards’ as shown on the classroom wall chart whereas in direct contrast to this are the ‘average children’ and those with Special needs who are struggling to obtain more than two or three a term and their efforts aren’t simply ‘rewarded’ at all.

Please explain what you mean by the 'Always children'.

Also the amount of homework that children come home with now is rather worrying as well. This started at 6 years at my child's school.
This is surely a separate issue?

Maybe the day trips to Meadowhall and other pointless days out plus the Baker days which really need to be in the holidays as teachers get far too many anyway could be substituted with days in the classroom actually learning something worthwhile and being more productive

This is where you start rambling and losing the plot completely!

It is really unhelpful to your child's education to bash his teachers, either individually or masse. Anyway, if you disagree with training days, complain to your MP - they are government-mandated, not something schools brought in.

Edited by aliceBB

According to the school the 'Always children' are the ones that perform and meet their targets all the time. This was brought into the classroom to appease some parents and in line with some wacky government policy. Apparently this stems from 'idea sharing' with other schools, in other words the head hasn't got a clue and the last two ofsted reports are a confirmation of this.

The rewards system in place beforehand was fair and rewards were given to all children of all abilities, each doing their best in order to be rewarded whereas now unless you are an 'A' grade child then it simply doesn't happen

Yes sorry about that

I don't have an issue with my child's teachers and I apologise if I gave that impression, they have been very good actually, its more based on policy thats dictated to by the head of the school that concerns me more than anything to the extent I am giving serious consideration to seeking further advice on this and if necessary removing them from the school. I have seen a number of my child's friends being removed from the school since this policy was installed. They have now been sent to other nearby schools where they appear to be doing significantly better.

Edited by Norseman
The reply was not added to the post in full

According to the school the 'Always children' are the ones that perform and meet their targets all the time.
This would seem to be in line with what I was saying about each child meeting their own targets - ones indicated by their results at KS2, or in CAT tests, or whatever criteria are used.

This was brought into the classroom to appease some parents and in line with some wacky government policy.
Which policy and why do you think it is wacky?

The rewards system in place beforehand was fair and rewards were given to all children of all abilities, each doing their best in order to be rewarded whereas now unless you are an 'A' grade child then it simply doesn't happen
But the system you describe as being in place before seems to be identical to an 'Always child' policy where everyone is rewarded for consistent effort/achievement of individual targets, regardless of ability. You cannot have it both ways!

Unless you are saying that an 'Always child' policy only rewards children who achieve highly in comparison with the average? I find that very hard to believe.

I don't have an issue with my child's teachers and I apologise if I gave that impression, they have been very good actually, its more based on policy thats dictated to by the head of the school that concerns me more than anything to the extent I am giving serious consideration to seeking further advice on this and if necessary removing them from the school. I have seen a number of my child's friends being removed from the school since this policy was installed. They have now been sent to other nearby schools where they appear to be doing significantly better.
If your children like and trust their teacher(s) and look forward to going to school, I would not move them. If children do not feel they are doing well, they will lose motivation. If that isn't happening, I would keep them where they are (moving schools is a huge upheaval for children and can set back their learning by months), but take up your concerns about the rewards system with the Head. Edited by aliceBB

Has the previous system actually been totally replaced?

The purpose of having an "Always Children" Rewards Scheme is to compliment existing motivation schemes to avoid those children who are always well behaved, always smart, always working well etc. missing out.

A good school will be using a combination of schemes to reward, motivate and, occasionally, punish.

The rewards for the different schemes may not always be the same.

The OP doesn't seem to be able to describe very clearly what systems are in place and I am also concerned about the suggestion that things were changed "because of complaints from parents".

Have you had a meeting with the Head and asked for a clear explanation of all the Rewards & Motivation Systems that they are using?

Edited by cgksheff