Win Explorer and Google Chrome not working, have I deleted something?

Tyranna

I'm using a laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and up until a week or so ago was able to use the 2 browsers (Google Chrome and Win Explorer 8. ). I have installed on it perfectly well.

A few weeks ago I just received my new broadband through Talk Talk and for the first 2 weeks it worked perfectly, until round about the time when I cleaned out a few unwanted applications (Including several generic scan/repair utilities which are no use unless you pay to allow them to repair any faulty/infected software).

I am suspecting that somehow I accidentally deleted some crucial files to do with the smooth operation of both of my browsers in the process, because I suddenly found that Google chrome wouldn't work at all beyond opening the browser window, as whenever I 'search' or enter an address for any page (Even totally innocous ones) I get the following message:

Cannot connect to the real http://www.google.co.uk

Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to http://www.google.co.uk.

Try to reload this page in a few minutes or after switching to a new network. If you have recently connected to a new Wi-Fi network, finish logging in before reloading.

If you were to visit http://www.google.co.uk right now, you might share private information with an attacker. To protect your privacy, Chrome will not load the page until it can establish a secure connection to the real http://www.google.co.uk.

In the case of Explorer 8 which I am using now to post this topic, the browser works INCREDIBLY slowly, taking about 20 times as long (Usually 2 minutes) to load any page, and comes up with 'Security certificate' warnings, i.e. more or less the same drivel as in the unwelcome 'something is currently interfering' message on Google Chrome.

Try as I may, I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to rectify the problems, to no avail; I have:

Tried several different actions in the 'Tools' section of each browser, including Tools-Internet Options-Advanced, then ticking all the SSL and TLS boxes, I've tried deleting all cookies, I have 'reset to Default settings', and I have even tried to fix it by switching off my broadband wireless box and rebooting it, and finally, as today I have tried logging on via a public wi-fi service that I have reliably used before.

Any help to sort out this would be really REALLY welcome, as I am at my wits end and am finding it impossible to use the internet for any of my normal creative work activities.:rant::help:

---------- Post added 24-12-2014 at 10:56 ----------

Just to detail it in full, although I CAN use Explorer just about, every time I click a link to another page (or even clicking back button) I get the following message bar at the top of the screen: 'To help protect your security, Internet explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors. Click here for options...

WhenI click on the 'Display blocked content' option, it generally does load the next page but even so it can be slow and sometimes crashes and I siply have to close the browser and relaunch it again...

Edited by Tyranna
Correcting syntax errors

Many Thanks captainwood. I'll take up your offer when I am back from the relatives I am staying with over Christmas; I should be back early in January if that is OK.

Re. updating my Win XP, I have tried, tried, and tried to use online sites to update it to SP3 but it wont let me because a dialog box keeps popping up with a message about somehting like not recognising the language of the upgrade application or something. However that's for later and maybe Captainwood can help me when I pop in.

I assume it's a legit version of XP? It doesn't sound like it if SP3 won't install. You can download SP3 separately rather than going through Windows Update.