What PC for photoshop editing..

Broody

I have a 5year old PC with a spec of:-

Intel dual 2.8ghz

4 GB ram

Nvida GeForce 8400GS

windows 7 pro

However one of my RAM sticks has died so on 3GB for now.

Instead of buying a new pair of RAM I had thought about getting a second hand PC (I can't afford a new one).

I mainly use the PC for Photoshop for my photography. I have an Xbox for game playing.

Only thing is that I have no idea where to start.

-Could I use my graphics card (i replaced it last year for the above model) or is it a rubbish model and bin it.

-What spec of a sencond hand PC should I be looking for?

I take it high RAM and processor would help for when using photoshop?

Where should I look for second hand PC's?

Thanks if anyone can help or offer any suggestions.

Cheers, Neil

What is your budget? I have a couple of Dell workstations in stock at the minute that might just be perfect, one is a quad core processor 8gb of ram and a quadro graphics card (at home at the min so will find out which when i get to work). If that's the sort of thing you might be interested in drop me a message.

P.S Which version of Photoshop are you running?

Check your mobo, see if you can fit 8GB, although I'm guessing it's DDR2 from the age so that would be expensive.

I'd assume you can also upgrade the processor to a faster quad core one.

Can you find out what motherboard you have and what processor? Intel dual could mean anything.

what version of PS and how are you using it? Min spec requirements arent always that helpful

I have a 4GB 2GHz dual core machine and work up to 40M Pixel images no problem on CS2 but I don't do lots of layers and filters. My guess would be a later CS would like 8GB memory but only need more CPU for complex tasks

not sure how much that helps