Indonesian restaurants?

In the Netherlands almost all Chinese restaurants are in fact Indonesian restaurants. A friend of mine has put a picture of a great Indonesian dish on Facebook and now I am dying for a real Babi Pangang and nasi goreng.

Anybody know if there is one in Sheffield? Google says Al Carretto, but that seems to be an Italian?

obviously with the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, being a former colony of the Netherlands then their cuisine will be more high profile there.

the equivalent to Indo here is Malaysia, the food is very similar as are the two languages which are mutually intelligible - if you can speak one, you can speak the other after just a little practice.

however there are quite a few more ethnic Chinese in Malaysia compared to Indo. I have seen dishes on menus in Asian restaurants here I have recognised from Malaysia. There are quite a lot of Malaysian students here in Sheffield although in recent years they have become it seems outnumbered by Chinese ones.

more and more south east Asian restaurants in Britain are becoming fused so it is not unusual to see Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Malay dishes on the same menu. 20 years ago you never saw any Thai dishes on Sheffield Chinese takeaway menus - now they are on just about every one.

obviously with the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, being a former colony of the Netherlands then their cuisine will be more high profile there.

the equivalent to Indo here is Malaysia, the food is very similar as are the two languages which are mutually intelligible - if you can speak one, you can speak the other after just a little practice.

however there are quite a few more ethnic Chinese in Malaysia compared to Indo. I have seen dishes on menus in Asian restaurants here I have recognised from Malaysia. There are quite a lot of Malaysian students here in Sheffield although in recent years they have become it seems outnumbered by Chinese ones.

more and more south east Asian restaurants in Britain are becoming fused so it is not unusual to see Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Malay dishes on the same menu. 20 years ago you never saw any Thai dishes on Sheffield Chinese takeaway menus - now they are on just about every one.

Do you know of any Malay restaurants in Sheffield? (Not looked at it like that).

no I don't though there are times when I have seen the Malaysian flag flying in people's windows, again like dishes names it is something you recognise if you have spent time in Malaysia.

Malaysia is a bit more ethnically mixed than Indo so you get a great cuisine that is divided between Malay, Chinese and Indian.

but Indo and Malay cuisine is pretty low profile like Filipino and Burmese and Khmer/Cambodian. Thai and Vietnamese are more popular and easier to market and sell abroard.

Just returning from a trip to Malaysia so I'll answer when I get back home (Jakarta).

There's a Malaysian restaurant opening where Cubana used to be on Trippet Lane. Or at least I expect it will be with a name like Malaysian Delight...

The Chinese restaurants/takes away places aren't always staffed by Chinese or British born Chinese, but commonly by Malaysian Chinese.

If you ask nicely, many will arrange for Malaysian dishes to be cooked for you.

Indonesian is far more difficult as it's very hard for Indonesians to get UK visa, apart from educational/business/diplomatic visas.

Babi (pork) isn't very common in Indonesia, but it is available because the Chinese community eat it.

There was a Malay restaurant or two on London road, but I'm three years out of date, so it may have gone by now.

In Holland you have Indonesian Restaurants, here we have Indian. It's entirely down to our respective colonial histories.

I spent a year working in Sumatra where the food is amazing, especially the Padang cuisine.

In the Netherlands almost all Chinese restaurants are in fact Indonesian restaurants. A friend of mine has put a picture of a great Indonesian dish on Facebook and now I am dying for a real Babi Pangang and nasi goreng.

Anybody know if there is one in Sheffield? Google says Al Carretto, but that seems to be an Italian?

Al Carretto was an Italian Restaurant on London Road just before the junction with Broadfield Road which I believe has now been demolished

There's a Malaysian restaurant opening where Cubana used to be on Trippet Lane. Or at least I expect it will be with a name like Malaysian Delight...

well if you believe that, you'll believe anything. I doubt that they will serve Malay food and expect the customers to eat it with their hands like Malays do.

it is Malaysia and especially Singapore which is like this adjunct of Malaysia really, and being the richer country that leads the way in Asian fusion food I described. It is very noticeable that almost every Chinese takeaway now, even on the most working class estates, sells Thai dishes. They did not sell them 20 years ago.

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 23:00 ----------

In Holland you have Indonesian Restaurants, here we have Indian. .

ther Dutch only colonised Indonesia, Suriname, and tried to colonise South Africa, but failed. That is about it. Of those three cuisines, I would choose Indonesian as well.

Britain colonised almost everything really, so what you get when you want to eat out here is a blend of the world of course with Indian food, with India being the former Jewel in the Crown of the Empire, merits a special place.

not anything to do with the jolly old British Empire here but I wish there was a truly good Japanese sushi restaurant in Sheffield but there just isn't. Korean cuisine well I would not care if nobody ever opens up one in Sheffield for time immemorial. I hate it.

Edited by blake