Past employees S & E Co op

Hi Shefflich and granny pat .Ive had a problem with my connection today but at last here I am.Yes Pat I worked on dress fabrics but also it was the towel department .So Shefflich it was on the ground floor and I have always refered to it as household linens .Towels tea towels dishclothes tablecloths etc. I was with Mr Brown, Monica Vardy who left to have a baby and a lovely lady called Mrs Mac.Mr Fletcher was the manager and Mr Jowett (dont be afraid to mingle missy )the store manager I started from school easter 1964 and worked there until mid 1966.

Pat was it Christine Townley or Townsend .

---------- Post added 29-06-2014 at 21:59 ----------

I remember Terry well and attended his recent funeral.

Im sorry I didnt know Terry and also sorry to hear he passed away

Gosh I remember Mr Brown. Usually had his head buried in the racing pages I recall!

Gosh I remember Mr Brown. Usually had his head buried in the racing pages I recall!

Yes he did .He used to send me to put his bets on sometimes .He was a lovely man a heavy smoker who suffered terribly with his chest .I remember once he was ill for weeks and I ran the department and did all the stocktaking myself not bad for a seventeen year old .I think I must have left before you started but I remember Mr Reaney and Brenda .Sorry I didn't tell you who I was you'll have gathered that Im not Carol .My name then was Hazel Walch .Im still Hazel of course Just the surname had changed .

---------- Post added 29-06-2014 at 22:48 ----------

Hi Shefflich and granny pat .Ive had a problem with my connection today but at last here I am.Yes Pat I worked on dress fabrics but also it was the towel department .So Shefflich it was on the ground floor and I have always refered to it as household linens .Towels tea towels dishclothes tablecloths etc. I was with Mr Brown, Monica Vardy who left to have a baby and a lovely lady called Mrs Mac.Mr Fletcher was the manager and Mr Jowett (dont be afraid to mingle missy )the store manager I started from school easter 1964 and worked there until mid 1966.

Pat was it Christine Townley or Townsend .

Hi Hazel. Think you are correct and I was there shortly after you had left. If I'd thought about it more I would have realised that down in the basement with Soft Furnishings was Manchester goods (bedding etc) not Household Linens.

I originate from London but had spent most of my childhood in Lancashire and when I moved to Sheffield and the S&E I struggled sometimes to understand the heavy Sheffield accent which you still sometimes came across. I remember Brenda offering me some 'spice' and I wondered what on earth she was offering me! Oh the cultural divide between Lancs and Yorkshire.

Happy days but I wouldn't go back to them.

Phil

Hi Hazel,

It was Christine Townsend, I think, not Townley. I'm amazed to hear Mr Jowett spoken of in such glowing terms. I just thought he was a jumped little nobody with a typical little man's complex. ie the nick name of Little Hitler. I worked there from early 1962 until 1965, I think it was. I was in window dressing with Mr Clark, Michael, Wendy, Ann, Margaret and Winifred. I even have a photograph of us all from that time. Do you remember Elaine Fisher, Barbara Ball (she joined the Navy) and Michael from menwear, Bill Hobson's department? Can't think what Michael's surname was but I do recall it had a lot of double letters in it. It'll come back to me in time. I'll let you know when it does. Lol.

Pat

Hi Hazel,

It was Christine Townsend, I think, not Townley. I'm amazed to hear Mr Jowett spoken of in such glowing terms. I just thought he was a jumped little nobody with a typical little man's complex. ie the nick name of Little Hitler. I worked there from early 1962 until 1965, I think it was. I was in window dressing with Mr Clark, Michael, Wendy, Ann, Margaret and Winifred. I even have a photograph of us all from that time. Do you remember Elaine Fisher, Barbara Ball (she joined the Navy) and Michael from menwear, Bill Hobson's department? Can't think what Michael's surname was but I do recall it had a lot of double letters in it. It'll come back to me in time. I'll let you know when it does. Lol.

Pat

YesI remember all of them but I cant remember Michael's surname either .Wasnt there a girl called Brenda on Mr Hobsons dept ?

Oh Yes I remember her. She had a lovely languid way of walking. I think her name was Brenda, you're right but I can't recall her surname. I think that Michael's name began with a W and I do remember that he lived down by Bramall Lane football ground. He wore glasses. It was some name like Wootten. Lol.

Pat

YesI remember all of them but I cant remember Michael's surname either .Wasnt there a girl called Brenda on Mr Hobsons dept ?

How about Michael WATTAM

Hi CaptChris,

Yes, I think you're right. Wattam sounds right. Do you remember him then? If so did you used to work with us, too?

Grannypat

I remember him very well and my colleagues in gents outfitting. I think I was there about 1965 but you may well have to ask Hazel Walch with whom I used to go out and still keep in contact with (she was and still is the only love in my life and I had the chances to make an honest girl/woman of her but I foolishly threw them away - for Gods sake please do not tell her or my contact with her after many years may come to a sudden end). During the 1970s I used to work with his cousin Peter Wattam when he joined the police force. I also remember a girl who lived in Holmesfield with larger than average breasts (please forgive my wording) whom I used to go out with and I believe she also worked in gents outfitting.

Hi CaptChris,

Ooops! You've told Hazel yourself as she is Granny Twili. :hihi: I'm sure she will be very flattered. I'm sorry but I can't remember who you are or were. I used to be in window dressing.

Grannypat

Hi CaptChris,

Ooops! You've told Hazel yourself as she is Granny Twili. :hihi: I'm sure she will be very flattered. I'm sorry but I can't remember who you are or were. I used to be in window dressing.

Grannypat

Oh God!! For reasons which I don't now know why, I thought I was sending a personal message. Flattered, well I can now only hope - nothing like shooting ones self in both feet and everywhere else. Hazel always had a good heart and a forgiving nature and I am sure that is still the case, otherwise oblivion here I come!! I worked in gents outfitting about 1966 for approx 12months before I moved down south. Initially I was with Wattam on the shirt section then more latterly directly opposite on the shop floor in the tie and accessories section working with a young lad straight from school. I remember that after work we would either go in the pub opposite The Arcade at the bottom of Cemetery Road (I think the outside had cream tiles) or the coffee bar just to the right on London Road - I think the current juke-box hit at that time was Barry Maguires "Eve of Destruction". Did you used to live in one of the terraced houses on Ecclesall Road more or less opposite the main Arcade entrance at the side of the pharmacy?