Past employees S & E Co op

Anyone who worked at Sheffield and Ecclesall Co op Eccleshall road 1965to 1967

Edited by granny twili

Yes, worked in various branches Fawcett St, Constable Rd, Derbyshire Ln, Dore, Fulwood, Langsett Rd and the Arcade food stores between 1976 and 1986

Anyone who worked at Sheffield and Ecclesall Co op

Sorry should have said Eccleshall Road

1960a

A pal of mine terry vickers worked at all the stores he was an electrician sadly passed away

Last year

A pal of mine terry vickers worked at all the stores he was an electrician sadly passed away

Last year

I remember Terry Vickers.

I worked in the TV and Appliance service department

in the 60s. We were in the Arcade then moved to the new building on

Clarence Lane

There is another thread about S&E Co-op might be worth a search

I remember Terry Vickers.

I worked in the TV and Appliance service department

in the 60s. We were in the Arcade then moved to the new building on

Clarence Lane

There is another thread about S&E Co-op might be worth a search

I worked in the household linens 1964 to 67.

Last year

Was he related to Tony Christie?

Back in the late 60s or early 70s me and another alarm engineer installed a burglar alarm system in the premises.

Took us three or four weeks and we worked with their two electricians who installed the mains power supplies we needed in various places, got on with both of them very well and remember one of them was a cousin of Tony Christie.

I worked down in the basement in Soft Furnishings with Eric Reaney and Brenda for about eighteen months from about 1966 to 67/68 ish having previously worked in the Co-op in Southport and before I moved on to work in the NHS. We shared the floor with Household Linens run by Mr Dawson (a very keen ballroom dancer) and Carol. The overall manager of the department was Mr Fletcher.

Is that you Carol??

Philip Beecher

I worked down in the basement in Soft Furnishings with Eric Reaney and Brenda for about eighteen months from about 1966 to 67/68 ish having previously worked in the Co-op in Southport and before I moved on to work in the NHS. We shared the floor with Household Linens run by Mr Dawson (a very keen ballroom dancer) and Carol. The overall manager of the department was Mr Fletcher.

Is that you Carol??

Philip Beecher

Hi Shefflich,

Was that Brenda Eastwood? The toy department was down there too wasn't it. There was a really nice lass worked on there who was a friend of mine - I can see her face in my minds eye and I remember her surname was Townsend but her Christian name I just cannot recall. It'll come to me.

Grannypat

---------- Post added 29-06-2014 at 21:08 ----------

Heyup granny twili,

When I was there you worked on dress fabrics - the first department you came to when you came through the doors from despatch. Did you move then after I left?

Grannypat

Hi Shefflich,

Was that Brenda Eastwood? The toy department was down there too wasn't it. There was a really nice lass worked on there who was a friend of mine - I can see her face in my minds eye and I remember her surname was Townsend but her Christian name I just cannot recall. It'll come to me.

Grannypat

Hi Grannypat.

It was indeed Brenda Eastwood - I'd quite forgotten her surname. Can't remember Carol's either. The toy department wasn't down there while I was there. I wouldn't have got much work done if it had been and Mr Fletcher would have been even more grumpy than he was.

Mr Jowett had been the overall store manager until shortly before I arrived, and it was thanks to his friendship with my store manager back in Southport (a Mr Tweedale - they used to meet at CWS in Manchester) that I actually got the job at the S&E. When I arrived, age 18, it was a Mr Abbott in charge. He wasn't ever so pleased to have me foisted on to the staff as the arrangement had been made by George Jowett before him. I had an old Ford Popular car in those days with the registration letters GJX. Mr Jowett (lovely man) used to say it was his because it had his initials on it. He also told me that when the cricket was on at Bramall Lane he would go up into the soft furnishings workshop in the roof from where he could see the game!

Hi Shefflich,

Grannypat

Hi Grannypat.

It was indeed Brenda Eastwood - I'd quite forgotten her surname. Can't remember Carol's either. The toy department wasn't down there while I was there. I wouldn't have got much work done if it had been and Mr Fletcher would have been even more grumpy than he was.

Mr Jowett had been the overall store manager until shortly before I arrived, and it was thanks to his friendship with my store manager back in Southport (a Mr Tweedale - they used to meet at CWS in Manchester) that I actually got the job at the S&E. When I arrived, age 18, it was a Mr Abbott in charge. He wasn't ever so pleased to have me foisted on to the staff as the arrangement had been made by George Jowett before him. I had an old Ford Popular car in those days with the registration letters GJX. Mr Jowett (lovely man) used to say it was his because it had his initials on it. He also told me that when the cricket was on at Bramall Lane he would go up into the soft furnishings workshop in the roof from where he could see the game!

Last year

I remember Terry well and attended his recent funeral.