Is anyone else tired of having to use recruitment agencies?

...ok this is a gripe but I'd like to get a discussion going re the use of recruitment agencies and people's own recent experiences with them....

I'm an experienced accountant who is currently looking for suitable finance roles within the Sheffield region. The trouble is, whichever jobs website I use, virtually all 'vacancies'* advertised are via recruitment agencies (including the job centre!!).

*it is a well known fact that agencies often post fictional jobs in order to get more candidates onto their database and to utilise contacts from their CV's/references!

Their foothold on the jobs market is so profound that in order to get a job, one has little chance of applying for a vacancy without utilising their 'services'. Having contacted many agencies within this last few weeks, I am dumbfounded by the lack of customer service that I am receiving from them. I have approached all the big names, emailing, leaving messages; both with receptionists and on consultant's mobiles but still nothing! So if I can't officially get on their books because I am being ignored/shunned what chance do I have of finding a job?!

Also, compared with 4-5 years ago, I am noticing that more of the staff appear to be fresh out of school/uni. So can these people really be called consultants? Surely they need to have a good grasp of the industry to which they are recruiting within i.e fully understand the ins and outs having worked there themselves?

The other thing which is a concern is that I am reading that a lot of consultants focus heavily on a candidates last role. As I'm currently self employed, apparently this goes against me. However, if they were to look a little deeper they'd realise that actually I do have some good experience in a number of different companies...

So, what are other people's recent experiences? Am I just an odd case? Or do other people think that they're not treating everyone equally? ...Is it that there just isn't the same number of jobs around, despite the mainstream media's declaration that the economy is accelerating?

Hi Adenfof,

I'm working permanently at the moment so not in touch with the current levels of service, but I have worked as a contractor through agencies in the past.

I know they can be shocking. In my experience they are totally focused on the companies they provide people to. But this is to be expected - I will work for any agency offering me work at a good rate, whereas the companies will use just one or two agencies.

I'm afraid it's a matter of persevering.

Don't let the fact that you're talking with a recent graduate that knows nothing about the job you do bother you. I'd suggest you try to stay in touch on a weekly basis with someone who seems to care an iota and drop a comment about your experience into the conversation while doing so. Eventually they may realise that you are a safe bet to put forward for a role.

Good luck.

Tony

Hi tlangdon12,

Thanks for the positive comment.

I think that a big problem at this point in time is the fact that there just simply isn't the number of jobs out there to meet demand (specifically within finance at the mo).

Agencies already have a massive database of candidates and as such have no need/motivation to acquire additional CV's. They will already have a list of preferred candidates that they will put through for jobs and so I think that unless someone has something pretty special on their CV, agencies are simply not going to take note.

Obviously employers seem to like leaving the selection of candidates to the agencies, I guess that the costs of doing so (typically 4-5K) are justifiable.

However, from a candidate point of view, it is very disheartening to know that a middleman is pretty much running the show, with the ability to prevent an able individual from having a shot at a job within a company. I just wish that more companies would use their in-house skills base in order to select their own candidates for interview. Also, with likes of Linkedin available, I would have thought that it would be easier for companies to identify talent.

One final point is that the jobs that are advertised seem to be at subdued rates/salaries. Basically, wages have stagnated for years now and are not keeping up with the cost of living. But whilst there's more candidates than jobs, this simply is not going to change within the near future. WORK HARDER FOR LESS

Edited by Adenufof

Interesting post, I'd like to add my two pennies worth!!

My personal opinion on the recruitment process is that it just seems lacking in many ways. Technology and many other factors have progressed our lives yet recruitment seems to be stuck in the dark ages.

First of all it appears that the industry for whatever reason has a problem with attracting employees from diverse backgrounds. Agencies seem to be very generic in terms of their own staff make up. Subconscious interview bias does continue to exist, a recent article in People Management questioned how diverse UK business truly is despite all legislative attempts to promote equality and diversity. So if agencies aren't diverse then surely this implies an unfair bias to candidates that are.

Recruitment agencies do judge characteristics which may not actually bother the employer, ie single parent and subsequently do not put CV's forward based on their personal bias.

I've been told by consultants that they are not interested in people looking to change career, so only interested in putting square pegs into square holes. How very dull.

This attitude not only stifles innovation but also prevents employers from having access to candidates that may fit very well within their organisation who can draw on past experience and offer new perspectives.

The fees paid to agencies could perhaps be better used to raise salaries or train existing staff.

I also have had consultants ring me in the past, discuss my past experience, call me in to register, do typing tests etc and then turn round and tell me how i'll struggle to get work in the desired field.

Interesting topic.

From another angle is my twopenneth.

As someone who will be looking for a person in this field shortly, where would you suggest I post the vacancy? I don't like agencies either so avoid using them, but where do most people look for job adverts these days?

From my point of view, the only good thing about agencies is the fact that you get far less pointless applications ie. people applying because they have been told they will lose benefits if they don't seek work.

Interesting topic.

From another angle is my twopenneth.

As someone who will be looking for a person in this field shortly, where would you suggest I post the vacancy? I don't like agencies either so avoid using them, but where do most people look for job adverts these days?

From my point of view, the only good thing about agencies is the fact that you get far less pointless applications ie. people applying because they have been told they will lose benefits if they don't seek work.

I think this is an issue that leads employers back to using agencies. i would suggest using sites such as indeed, the jobcentre website, if you have a website add the vacancy. Depending on the sector, vas.org.uk is another good one.

I do think the jobcentre has the potential to offer a solution to recruitment processes, they already have so much information about job seekers, yet the private sector are the ones making a profit.

I had a look in today's Star, after not seeing the job edition for a long time and was disappointed to see hardly any at all.