TRAFFIC LIGHTS v MINI-ROUNDABOUTS ?

Except this doesn't work when when most drivers decide not to let you out onto a busy road.

Where does that happen? If it's that busy somebody always lets me out. Maybe it's just because I'm so handsome or something? Never had to wait longer than at a set of lights.

I hate waiting at lights when there's nothing coming the other way, I swear traffic lights are against me & only turn red as I approach.

I hate waiting at lights when there's nothing coming the other way, I swear traffic lights are against me & only turn red as I approach.

I think sometimes they do...

Try Queens Road at 4am. But I can see the logic, otherwise SOME would be doing 80 down there

Try East Bank Road, halfway up, it's no right turn onto East Bank except for buses, there's about 1 bus every three weeks, none at night, still need to stop every time for the non-existent right turners.

Townend, I think they're on a timer, have to wait in the dead of night for nothing to go, or have huge queues in every direction when it's busy.

Manor Top never used to get that choked up when it had a roundabout instead of 1500 sets of traffic lights.

Always a queue on South Street waiting for nothing, it's left turn only, if there's no tram it should be green.

If traffic lights are needed they could be programmed better to cause less congestion. More traffic lights could be part time lights, so they're only on when it's busy. If they can be replaced by roundabouts it's a much better solution.

Then there's the pedestrian crossing vs subway/bridge argument too...

I think they're getting backhanders from traffic light manufacturers.

Edited by anywebsite

Traffic lights weren't operated by pressure pads. They used induction loops. Many still do. Others are either on a timer or use some form of detection based on LiDAR.

Many places in Sheffield that are using a light system are not suitable for mini-roundabouts. To do so would create even more traffic chaos.

Hi Resident - you are obviously far too young to have been around when there was less traffic and us kids only had to jump on the pressure pads to change the lights ? - great 'dangerous fun ' - little else to do in those days apart from that and 'footie' !! - plus playing with my Dinky of course.(They couldn't touch you for it in those days !! Ha)

Your response to mini-roundabouts sounds like a pedestrian talking !! Ha !

Hi Resident - you are obviously far too young to have been around when there was less traffic and us kids only had to jump on the pressure pads to change the lights ? - great 'dangerous fun ' - little else to do in those days apart from that and 'footie' !! - plus playing with my Dinky of course.(They couldn't touch you for it in those days !! Ha)

Your response to mini-roundabouts sounds like a pedestrian talking !! Ha !

Firstly I'm in my 30s. Secondly my response comes from the viewpoint of a friend of mine, a friend who just happens to be a member of the ADI and teaches driving instructors. Now if he says those are the rules, then those are the rules, it's in his livelihood to know.

Personally, and this comes from the viewpoint of a driver, if you can't manage to drive around a mini-roundabout then you're a poor driver.