Percy St - Neepsend circa 1911

Hi - apparently my grannie lived at 18 Percy St (Neepsend area) back in 1911. Her mother owned a confectioners shop apparently (I assume this was address of the shop too) - name was Ward. Trying to throw a bit more light on this/looking for more info - can't seem to use White/Kelly Directories and get any sort of result. Can anyone help please? Thanks

Hi LynByn - the 1911 census shows Alice Maud Ward, a self-employed confectioner, at 18 Percy Street where she lived with her seven children. These were Eva Maud, then 14, Leonard Charles, 12, Sidney William, 10, Ruth Emma, 8, Albert Edward, 5, Florence, 3 and Doris, 1. Alice's maiden name was Ridgway - she was born at Wadsley Bridge in 1873 and married Leonard Charles Ward in 1895. Leonard wasn't at home in 1911; he was working at a pub in Coventry, and he died there the following year, aged only 39. The Percy Street shop isn’t mentioned in the 1925 directory; Alice may still have lived there if it was a 'court' or back-to-back house and the shop had closed (residents of these properties weren’t listed by Kelly’s unless it was a business). Alice died aged 80 in Rotherham in 1953. She had perhaps taken over a fruit & veg. shop and turned it into a confectioners - the 1905 directory shows 'William Pacey, shopkeeper' at 18 Percy Street and the 1901 census shows him as a 'greengrocer' there..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Hi hillsbro - many thanks for your help! I see you have picked up very quickly on "the story so far" - ie detail about the Ward family in 1911. Can I just ask - was there a 1911 Whites directory - I thought I'd seen one mentioned for Sheff&rotherham businesses in 1911, but as I have mentioned I could not access it properly. I wonder why she states that she is a Confectioner in 1911 census, if in fact she had closed the shop down by that date? Thanks.

Hi hillsbro - many thanks for your help! I see you have picked up very quickly on "the story so far" - ie detail about the Ward family in 1911. Can I just ask - was there a 1911 Whites directory - I thought I'd seen one mentioned for Sheff&rotherham businesses in 1911, but as I have mentioned I could not access it properly. I wonder why she states that she is a Confectioner in 1911 census, if in fact she had closed the shop down by that date? Thanks.

Historical Directories,

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Find by location-Yorkshire

Third page in-on -next page -Directory-bottom of page

search-Percy Street

next hit- 4th hit

should take you there.

Leonard Chas. Ward shopkeeper.

Hi LynByn - the 1911 census shows Alice Maud Ward, a self-employed confectioner, at 18 Percy Street where she lived with her seven children. These were Eva Maud, then 14, Leonard Charles, 12, Sidney William, 10, Ruth Emma, 8, Albert Edward, 5, Florence, 3 and Doris, 1. Alice's maiden name was Ridgway - she was born at Wadsley Bridge in 1873 and married Leonard Charles Ward in 1895. Leonard wasn't at home in 1911; he was working at a pub in Coventry, and he died there the following year, aged only 39. The Percy Street shop isn’t mentioned in the 1925 directory; Alice may still have lived there if it was a 'court' or back-to-back house and the shop had closed (residents of these properties weren’t listed by Kelly’s unless it was a business). Alice died aged 80 in Rotherham in 1953. She had perhaps taken over a fruit & veg. shop and turned it into a confectioners - the 1905 directory shows 'William Pacey, shopkeeper' at 18 Percy Street and the 1901 census shows him as a 'greengrocer' there..:)
as always a wealth of information, fred clarke married florence Harden in doncaster 1931 Harden very easy to trace back but with so many Clarkes around Sheffield( Lived 511 Penistone rd 38 on)what is my next move in trying to track down this Clarke ?? Thanks in advance

.. I wonder why she states that she is a Confectioner in 1911 census, if in fact she had closed the shop down by that date?...
Full marks to retep for finding the directory online. :) The people at Leicester University do a great job and the site has recently been improved. If the shop had recently closed down in 1911 it would still be listed as the directories were compiled the previous year.

Many thanks to all - eventually got there and found his name listed in Whites Directory 1911.

as always a wealth of information, fred clarke married florence Harden in doncaster 1931 Harden very easy to trace back but with so many Clarkes around Sheffield( Lived 511 Penistone rd 38 on)what is my next move in trying to track down this Clarke ?? Thanks in advance

Marriage certificate to find his fathers name.

Marriage certificate to find his fathers name.

yes now got one on the way ,begin to look like Doncaster may well be the culprit lots of Clarke around there some would fit the bill for Frederick Clarke one born in 1907?? I was born in Doncaster But eldest sister born in Worksop maybe going from one mine to another:confused::confused:

yes now got one on the way ,begin to look like Doncaster may well be the culprit lots of Clarke around there some would fit the bill for Frederick Clarke one born in 1907??...
Frederick Clarke, born Doncaster Apr-Jun 1907 [Vol. 9c Page 888]. Nearest alternative Frederick George Clarke, born Doncaster Oct-Dec 1908 [Vol. 9c Page 910].

Frederick Clarke, born Doncaster Apr-Jun 1907 [Vol. 9c Page 888]. Nearest alternative Frederick George Clarke, born Doncaster Oct-Dec 1908 [Vol. 9c Page 910].

Thanks just got that one, could well be my dad sending for the Clarke/harden marriage cert Doncaster 1931 i'll see if the dates match up.Well thanks again