Sign in to follow this  

Ski Pakistan | Need your help (and old skis).

Hi all,

Following a story published back in April on the BBC I took it upon myself to reach out and offer help to one determined man's mission to bring back skiing to the Swat Valley in Pakistan.

Here is the original article by Rebecca Kesby: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21654353

As you may know, ski season is almost upon us so we need help as soon as possible.

Matee Ullah Khan is attempting to revive a once growing yet niche activity in the area but without any of the basics after the area was destroyed by the Taliban some years ago.

We NEED skis. Old skis, new skis, snow blades, poles, boots. Anything that can help the children and adults alike rebuild a once loved sport.

Currently they have access to only a few pairs of skis and several planks of wood with shoes nailed to them, please help us change this.

We have been in touch with the Pakistani High Commission and they have confirmed that they are willing to ship everything out to Pakistan for free and transport will be arranged once they touch down in Lahore.

If you think you can spare a pair of old skis, snow blades, poles or boots then we can come and collect them or if you're passing by Fulwood, Sheffield then we'd be happy to receive them.

If you haven't got anything to spare right now please pass this on so we can reach as many people as possible.

Please help us make this a reality and make a difference to people's lives in this war torn country.

Please get in touch via PM.

Thank you,

Joe

Fulwood, S10 3RT

have you tried the owners of the now defunct ski village maybe they could help ?

Yeah I have someone trying to get in touch. I don't have too much hope as I think that the boot room was destroyed.

We shall see.

Thanks a lot.

Ski tourists were recently shot dead by Taliban in Pakistan, I wouldn't be encouraging people to go there.

We're trying to help the locals in rebuilding a ski school...the adults and children that will be benefitting will be the locals that already live in the area...so there will be a threat whether they have skis or not.