A question about weird allotment rules.

As some of them mystify me to be honest. :huh:

Could i just grow one crop, potatoes to be precise. Or would i fall foul of some strange rule ?

Hiya Buddie.

As long as your tendering you plot,you can grow what you like (within reason) but i know the council do have some weird and wonderful rules though.

Im planning to just grow spuds on mine next year with the price they are .

Cheers for that Andy, i find the rules mystifying if i'm honest, going on the case where one bloke was prevented from using his plot mainly as an orchard.

Btw, would you be interested in a labour/crop share ? Or do you enjoy having the place to yourself ?

ah the orchard is easily explainable - in the 'olden' days the rules stated that you couldn't grow permanent things like trees / bushes.

Nowadays the current allotment rules are something like 75% must be given over to growing, the majority for vegetables - so an orchard wouldn't meet that requirement.

The guy behind my old plot had an 'orchard'. It was basically 10 fruit trees in a wilderness of couch grass & weeds - there was no plantable soil at all and the trees were really difficult to get around due to their size & spread. He gave up the plot and the next couple spent months trying to dig a few beds, but the tree canopies & the task were overwhelming and they gave up - it was then empty for a couple of years.

I seem to recall that planting a single crop raises eyebrows (presumably there is a suspicion that you are growing to sell), but if you have a good reason then it should be fine - I think a single vegetable is more acceptable than fruit.

Hiya Buddie.

As long as your tendering you plot,you can grow what you like (within reason) but i know the council do have some weird and wonderful rules though.

Im planning to just grow spuds on mine next year with the price they are .

Spuds will come down in price dramatically in September :)

Ive already had some of the potatoes from this years crop from the farm and they are lovely.

Cheers for that Andy, i find the rules mystifying if i'm honest, going on the case where one bloke was prevented from using his plot mainly as an orchard.

Btw, would you be interested in a labour/crop share ? Or do you enjoy having the place to yourself ?

I already share matey,but ill ask around for you pal. :)

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 16:06 ----------

Im at Infielf lane Darnall,get your name down,the hut is open 10.00 - 12.00 on Sundays,there are lot of empty plots,if you dont mind putting in the work.