Co-op Ecclesall road closing ??

I can remember when the co-op was at the bottom of ecclesall road where the waitrose is now.How old does that make me?

I can remember when the co-op was at the bottom of ecclesall road where the waitrose is now.How old does that make me?

At least 35.

Im more than 35 Nagel. Im talking about when they sold tea, cheese, butter loose and your goods were only packeted up when you had chosen what you wanted and it was served to you by a human being and not some automated machine and your money(remember that real money)was sent to the office in a tube which ran right round the store.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 11:42 ----------

Oh and by the way. You took your own bags with you most of which (apart from the brown paper ones) were quite sturdy made of sacking type materials because most people had to carry their shopping home with them rather than just accross the car-park.

Im more than 35 Nagel. Im talking about when they sold tea, cheese, butter loose and your goods were only packeted up when you had chosen what you wanted and it was served to you by a human being and not some automated machine and your money(remember that real money)was sent to the office in a tube which ran right round the store.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 11:42 ----------

Oh and by the way. You took your own bags with you most of which (apart from the brown paper ones) were quite sturdy made of sacking type materials because most people had to carry their shopping home with them rather than just accross the car-park.

I remember the old S&E Coop building at the bottom of Ecclesall Road too. It was a fine looking Art Deco style building and I wonder if it would be allowed to be demolished these days?

Here's a picture - https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s14228.jpg

I said at least 35 because I think it was demolished around 1980 when they built a Safeway on the site, now Waitrose. The polychrome rosettes which crowned the pillars of the old Coop building were put on display in the entrance to the newly built Safeway to preserve a bit of the history (and because they were impressive objects).

Then they mysteriously disappeared when the building was converted to Waitrose. I wonder where they are now?

EDIT: I found pictures of these column filials and the old Coop, lots of pictures. There's also photos of them on display in the foyer of the old Safeway -

http://shimmer.shu.ac.uk/luna/servlet/view/search?QuickSearchA=QuickSearchA&q=Sheffield+%26+Ecclesall+Co-op&search=Search

Edited by Nagel

Thanks Nagel for bringing back many happy memories. Use to go down to the S.& E. Ecclesall Road with mum to collect her divi. payment from the wooden panelled offices.

In later years, we ourselves had many meals in The Festival Restaurant upstairs. Can remember placing our order for food, waiting more than half an hour for it to arrive. When it did come, the young waitress who took the order said - 'Sorry to keep you waiting, I've just been having my own dinner'.

Happy days!!