Our big move up to Sheffield! Advice appreciated!

So what's wrong with this house? apart from the house/garden needing work..this in the middle of a bad area?..I think we are going to have to trawl the streets at this rate..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38370335.html?premiumA=true

It's an ex council property by the looks of it, Wybourn area? It's always had a bit of rep for being rough, but you probably wouldn't have trouble getting tenants to rent it. Maybe you could enquire about the area/type of tenants from one of the letting agents?

It's on woodthorpe and yes ex council.

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 21:19 ----------

Woodhouse is a area in Sheffield what is a high population of rented houses also woodseats.

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 21:37 ----------

I've looked through rightmove and can only find flats in your budget but you would get the £400pcm you require off them.

Edited by sawheating

It's on woodthorpe and yes ex council.

---------- Post added 28-06-2013 at 21:19 ----------

Woodhouse is a area in Sheffield what is a high population of rented houses also woodseats.

Sorry, I made a mistake with the area, Woodthorpe not Wybourn but the general idea still stands, yeah?

Not sure about property prices in Woodhouse, which is miles out of town anyway, but not likely to find much in Woodseats for less than £95k, although there's a couple of fixer-uppers in Jenkinson's auction that I posted the link to further upthread.

It sounds like you have a busy life with your young family. The best thing to do is to concentrate on them. Get your own home sorted - maybe a rental until you know that you are going to like living in Sheffield. Then take your time exploring the area; you should then be able to make some sound decisions. It seems to me that you are trying to do too much at once.

Re-reading your post, I see that you are moving 'up' to Sheffield. Presumably you are a southerner? The property prices and your thoughts on 'friendly' Sheffield folk (not sure if they are much different to anyone else BTW) may make the move tempting. However, it is a huge change, particularly for your wife and children and if you are leaving extended family behind.

You have a lot of money invested in this move and your requirements are specific to you so if it going to work, you really need to do the homework yourself. There are so many things to consider such as the market you are aiming at, self management of properties v agent, repair and maintenance.

If you are going to manage them yourself it makes sense to buy all three properties in a fairly small, defined area so that you are not battling through the city traffic when work needs to be done on the rental ones. If you plan to use tradesmen to upgrade or repair the properties you will need to be here to assess them. The safe option would be to move here first and see if you and your family settle and also to see what you think of the place.

I would really recommend researching primary schools before you decide where to buy the house you plan to live in. In areas where there are decent schools, 3 bed house tend to go for a lot more than £100k.

If it was me I would spend the whole £200k budget that you have on a nice house in a nice part of sheffield with good local schools, amenities etc.

I've got to agree with previous comments, I honestly think you'll struggle to find something, even a "project" 3 bed property within your £100k budget in a good area with good schools and low crime. Being just over a week from being a home owner, I realised that £100k doesn't buy you that much, though it certainly does buy a lot more than it would down South.

If you're wanting to make this a long term move, I'd recommend really researching the areas you like and the schools to make sure you're going to be comfortable living there with your family. If I were you, I'd be tempted to increase my budget for my house and spend less on rental properties because with a young family, I'd hate to be stuck in an area where I don't feel comfortable. But you're the only one that knows your circumstances and what you want from your move.

With regards to rentals, I currently rent on the Parklands development that was mentioned earlier and pay £425 for a 2 bed flat but these are on the market for about £75k+ and this is technically "on the Manor", which is an area that makes people wince, but it's okay and if it's a rental that's not the biggest concern, I guess. But any house and a lot of flats on the market for £50-60k are going to be in areas with high deprivation and high crime. I can't comment too much on the rental potential but in some areas you may struggle to find private tenants who want to live there.

I have to say, Sheffield is a great city, I'm one of those people that came here for university and just never left and seeing as I'm just about to complete on my first house in the city, don't see myself moving any time soon.