The Sloping Tree in Hillsborough Park

When I was a Kid there was a huge tree in Hillsborough Park growing at 45 degrees. It was situated by the side of the duck pond where the line of trees ran close to the backs of the houses on Broughton Road. Back then we used to dare each other to see who would climb highest. Can anyone remember it and know if its still there?

Hi kulebeanz - I remember that beech tree well; it had a very knobbly trunk that made it even easier to climb. Unfortunately it hasn't been there for quite a long time now..:(

I remember it well in the 1950s. used to play with all my mates in the area around the tree.

ps. Hillsbro, when did the "old mans hut" and bandstand disappear please? the last time i saw the bandstand was in 1971.

ps. Hillsbro, when did the "old mans hut" and bandstand disappear please? the last time i saw the bandstand was in 1971.
I don't think the hut can have survived after the 1960s; I do remember seeing it not long before I left school (1966). Here are two old postcards that feature the hut, and a 1905 view of the bandstand in all its glory, when it still had windows. I imagine it would have eventually become unsafe and so was removed, but the stone plinth survived for some years longer.

Hi kulebeanz - I remember that beech tree well; it had a very knobbly trunk that made it even easier to climb. Unfortunately it hasn't been there for quite a long time now..:(

Thanks for the info hillsbro, shame it's gone. Never knew it was a beech tree, only trees I knew back then were conker trees and apple trees for scromping:hihi:

I remember climbing the tree when I was about 10 ,I managed to get quite far up then having to be rescued by a man who was passing by because I couldnt get down :hihi: , great memories of Hillsborough park late 60,s and 70,s .

I remember climbing the tree when I was about 10 ,I managed to get quite far up then having to be rescued by a man who was passing by because I couldnt get down :hihi: , great memories of Hillsborough park late 60,s and 70,s .

Lol, I bottled it a few times, only way down was to shuffle down backwards clinging on for dear life. Same period as you too! The original tree huggers :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 15:32 ----------

Big Ivan with the flat cap?

....Big Ivan with the flat cap?
Ivan has his own thread here..:)