Windows 8 - Undeleting a file?

aelfheah

In Win XP, if you deleted a file (photo, word doc etc) you simply right-clicked into the folder and the 'undelete' option was there, as was 'undo move/name', but in Windows 8 this option is missing?

Without installing any recovery software, is it possible to mimic WinXP and easily recover the file/s with a couple of clicks?

It is easy if you know you're likely to delete something you might want in advance, but it needs setting up in advance & requires extra storage. You should turn on the file history function & it'll store backups of each version of your files.

If you've already deleted something before turning that feature on & want to try to undelete it you should try to make sure as little as possible is written to the hard drive & use some recovery software.

I'm not a big Windows user, but I never saw an undelete right click option, maybe it was added by 3rd party software in your Windows XP?

Edited by anywebsite

I was assuming they meant after it'd been deleted from the 'recycle bin'. If not, look there.

The file history feature in Windows 8 could still be useful, the recycle bin doesn't protect you from all types of idiocy. If you overwrite a file rather than delete it, it wont be in the recycle bin, but it would still be in your file history.

I was assuming they meant after it'd been deleted from the 'recycle bin'. If not, look there.

The file history feature in Windows 8 could still be useful, the recycle bin doesn't protect you from all types of idiocy. If you overwrite a file rather than delete it, it wont be in the recycle bin, but it would still be in your file history.

The 'File History' feature needs enabling. I personally use SkyDrive (keeps 25 versions of all documents automatically) for all my important files.

The 'File History' feature needs enabling. I personally use SkyDrive (keeps 25 versions of all documents automatically) for all my important files.

It does need enabling, as I said in my first post & online storage like you suggest could be a good option for backups for a lot of people.

Keeping regular backups is the best way to make sure you don't accidentally lose any important data.