Large diesel consumption on Transit van HELP !!

Hi, I have recently had some body repairs, including a new diesel tank fitted to my transit 2ltr Diesel, 02 plate. Since this has been done the fuel gage is dropping very, very quickly!! I put £30 in the other day and it ran out after 130 miles... I know i used to get a lot more than this. Does anyone know if there is a simple solution, before I return it to the garage.. There are no leaks of diesel, and is running fine, just using far to much juice..

Any help would be appreciated ?

Many thanks..

Based on £1.40 per ltr that equals about £6.30 per gallon so you must have put in about just under 5 gallons to do 130 miles equals about 28 to the gallon.

Whenever I have hired a transit it seldom does better than that.

If you say its not leaking the diesel out anywhere, have you had a good look underneath, have they done any work to the diesel pump or have they changed the timing belt? sounds like the diesel pump timing could be out.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 00:46 ----------

Based on £1.40 per ltr that equals about £6.30 per gallon so you must have put in about just under 5 gallons to do 130 miles equals about 28 to the gallon.

Whenever I have hired a transit it seldom does better than that.

Yes that is about right may be you could get a bit more than 30mpg out of one if you drive it steady,the high top models seem to wallop diesel just seems a coincidence if he has had it in the garage.

Hi, I have recently had some body repairs, including a new diesel tank fitted to my transit 2ltr Diesel, 02 plate. Since this has been done the fuel gage is dropping very, very quickly!! I put £30 in the other day and it ran out after 130 miles... I know i used to get a lot more than this. Does anyone know if there is a simple solution, before I return it to the garage.. There are no leaks of diesel, and is running fine, just using far to much juice..

Any help would be appreciated ?

Many thanks..

Did they replace the 'sender unit' as well when fitting the new tank?

Have you checked for tramps in the back. ?

Asking as this happened to me and it was down to a tramp hiding under a tarpaulin whilst sipping the diesel through a straw via a tiny hole he'd made directly into the tank.

Took it to kwikfit and they missed it btw, they're rubbish.

Did they replace the 'sender unit' as well when fitting the new tank?

I sourced the tank from the same model 02 plate, that was been broken, so I think the sender unit came with it !!

Rgds,

Tom.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 01:21 ----------

If you say its not leaking the diesel out anywhere, have you had a good look underneath, have they done any work to the diesel pump or have they changed the timing belt? sounds like the diesel pump timing could be out.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 00:46 ----------

Yes that is about right may be you could get a bit more than 30mpg out of one if you drive it steady,the high top models seem to wallop diesel just seems a coincidence if he has had it in the garage.

It is a high top, but the consumption only went up following the repairs !!

Rgds.

I sourced the tank from the same model 02 plate, that was been broken, so I think the sender unit came with it !!

Rgds,

Tom.

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 01:21 ----------

It is a high top, but the consumption only went up following the repairs !!

Rgds.

There you go then. The old tank with sender was giving you a false reading. The new sit up is giving you a more accurate reading. I owned a ex nicked XR3i that indictated half a tank when empty. The thing had a massive dent on the petrol tank :(

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 01:27 ----------

Have you checked for tramps in the back. ?

Asking as this happened to me and it was down to a tramp hiding under a tarpaulin whilst sipping the diesel through a straw via a tiny hole he'd made directly into the tank.

Took it to kwikfit and they missed it btw, they're rubbish.

That could be the problem as well. Tramps are very adept in gaining entry to Transits :gag::D:D

Edited by Rampent
fell over

There you go then. The old tank with sender was giving you a false reading. The new sit up is giving you a more accurate reading. I owned a ex nicked XR3i that indictated half a tank when empty. The thing had a massive dent on the petrol tank :(

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 01:27 ----------

That could be the problem as well. Tramps are very adept in gaining entry to Transits :gag::D:D

How do you work that one out ramp hes going on the mileage till it ran out on the speedo not the fuel gage, changing the tank wont alter the miles, just giving an inaccurate fuel gage reading get me drift,hes saying he thinks its not going the same distance on the diesel since the tank change may be the price went up while it was in the garage and he dint notice it, yes thats it solved it.

How do you work that one out ramp hes going on the mileage till it ran out on the speedo not the fuel gage, changing the tank wont alter the miles, just giving an inaccurate fuel gage reading get me drift,hes saying he thinks its not going the same distance on the diesel since the tank change may be the price went up while it was in the garage and he dint notice it, yes thats it solved it.

But he reckons the sender was changed as well. Maybe the new sender is wonky? If he has done the test of running out of fuel before (which is a pretty crazy test TBH) then who knows!! :)

This is a job for FORTEAN TIMES and LIONEL FANTHORPE. !!!!!

But he reckons the sender was changed as well. Maybe the new sender is wonky? If he has done the test of running out of fuel before (which is a pretty crazy test TBH) then who knows!! :)

It getting a bit confusing now ramps I think its time I hit the hay.

If you're sure the tank and sender are a match, and are definitely identical to the one removed, I'd check the speedo. Has the repair work involved removal of the dash or speedo drive/sender causing an inacuracy.

FYO different fuel tank sizes can be specified on some vehicles, when you put fuel in does the gauge alter accordingly, and the same as with the original tank.