Why microchip a pet and then a few years later abandon it ??

My friend has had a cat hanging around her house for a week or so - she called the RSPCA, but ended up taking it in and feeding it as it was in such a bad condition - deeply matted fur and very hungry

Today she took it to the vet to get it help and see if it was microchipped. Amazingly it is - seems it was abandoned 18 months ago and the owner "is not bothered about getting their cat back" :confused:

why would you go to the bother of microchipping a pet and then turf it out ?? I just don't get it. Poor thing turns out to be 15 years old :| It has had to be completely shaved :(

Hopefully it will find a new home and love with my friend, although she already has 2 dalmations & 2 cats, so it will be a fingers crossed situation.

Seriously what is wrong with some people :confused::confused::confused::confused:

They sicken me how anyone could do that to a defenceless animal ill never know.if they didnt want the cat why not just take it to the RSPCA.

How sad one of my cats has been missing since nov and I'd do anything to have her back. I just really don't understand people. My pets are such a huge part of our family I couldn't imagine turfing them out :( .

It is quite possible that the cat was originally from a Rescue who would have chipped the cat. After cats are adopted the details of the person adopting are registered with the chip company. Maybe they had forgotten that the chip would be registered in their name. I wonder if they have a new cat now & that's why they dont want to take the old one back? Poor old cat. At least he's safe now. To answer Hashtags question, it is much harder to get a cat into a Rescue than people think. Most just assume you can make a call to somewhere like the RSPCA & they'll take your unwanted pet off you. Actually, the RSPCA dont even deal with unwanted pets, they only deal with cruelty cases & injured animals. And Rescues have huge waiting lists, dozens of phone calls every day from people wanting to rehome unwanted pets, people ringing to try to get help for strays, it's heartbreaking for those in Rescue. They just cant help everyone. So sad. That's why some just get abandoned. People wont wait, they want it 'sorted now' or the poor animal gets chucked out or abandoned.

So glad old puss has found your friend. He's one of the lucky one's.

That's why some just get abandoned. People wont wait, they want it 'sorted now' or the poor animal gets chucked out or abandoned.
Until the law is turned around to protect pet owners who are made homeless, sadly many more animals will lose their homes thanks to the policy of not being allowed to join a housing list until the soon to be made homeless person/family 'gets rid' of their pet. Where the heck they're supposed to find the 'hand in' fee for this when they're losing their home I don't know

I know there ARE people who don't care, so abandon pets, but at the moment there are some horrible things happening to pets because the powers that be make life impossible for people who are already struggling :mad:

'Oh look I got pregnant and had a baby! Look how cute it is' 18 months later 'oh I'm fed up of it now, I'll just leave it on the street I'm sure it can fend for itself'

If you wouldn't do this ^^ to a baby then don't do it to an animal...honestly I mostly hate humans...sorry folks.

nobody is going to tell you that you can live in a cardboard box unless you get rid of your kids though

The authorities think it's fine to tell you to get rid if your dog or sod off