Sign in to follow this  

Free local travel for some!

Who pays for all this free/reduced price bus travel?

The long suffering middle age middle income majority; it costs about £1.50 just from Abbeydale Road into town now, I don't need to go every day for work so when i do go I just park up within 10 minutes walk (it's about half an hour from my flat). If bus prices were reasonable I could just pop on one, but I refuse to pay their extortionate fares, and no I'm not lazy and I'm sure I could walk there and back but i just don't always have time. Pete

Originally posted by sparky2

Don't forget these free passes are for anyone over 60 years old which to my mind is plain stupid when men are still working and do not draw their pension until they are 65. Why should we have to pay extra council tax etc. to pay for these people travelling too and from work for free.

Sparky lad why should anyone have to pay to travel to work? the gaffers should pay. It is only because arseholes keep voting in tory governments and councils that we have to

My point was that you are not a pensioner until you are 65 so why get free travel after you are only 60 and you are still working.

Women can retire at 60 at the moment and get their pension, thereby becoming pensioners....

Pensioners can also work but pay a much higher rate of tax.

Therefore their FREE travel is PAID travel by another door.

:)

What I should have said was that I dont agree with people under pension age getting free travel unless they ar in invalidity I know women retire at 60. As far as paying higher tax after retirement age I'm note sure you are correct about that

Originally posted by sparky2

What I should have said was that I dont agree with people under pension age getting free travel unless they ar in invalidity I know women retire at 60. As far as paying higher tax after retirement age I'm note sure you are correct about that

Please believe me, it's true and because you are on a capped wage as it were, if you do overtime or work an extra shift then you would see very little of the extra pay.:)

I don't know how old you are sparky2 but I am a working pensioner through necessity not choice and my government pension is taken off me in tax because it's added to my income. I've worked all my life going back when my children were six weeks old because my husband has been ill for a long time. I think I've earned free bus fare. I pay full rent and full council tax before you ask.:rant:

its a great idea - they get the fuel payment money too - to keep their houses warm at night and can spend all day on the buses - saves on spending money keeping warm in their houses - plus they get to meet people - perhaps a couple more circular bus routes then they could stay on all day :)

its a great idea - they get the fuel payment money too - to keep their houses warm at night and can spend all day on the buses - saves on spending money keeping warm in their houses - plus they get to meet people - perhaps a couple more circular bus routes then they could stay on all day :)

Such sarcasm is out of order. I hope you live to be 97 and not have the ability to pay to get out

you always came across as a sensible bloke.