Tower blocks at Herdings

Where's Spot

Just found this photo:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14546&pos=26&action=zoom&id=17358

I was aware there used to be a third block at Herdings, but never been able to find a photo before. Which of the three was demolished? Is it the one on the right?

Anyone know when it was demolished and why? Seems a bit odd to demolish one out of three. Is there any physical sign of the third one left?

The block which was demolished was the one nearest Herdings School, the one on the right in the Picture Sheffield photograph. If you go up to the site you can see where it stood. It was demolished mid 90's I think, I watched it from Herdings Park, I've got three photographs of it as it fell somewhere.

Edited by martss
Added text

I worked on the 13 story flats as they were known.

They came in threes. 3 each at Herdings, Martin Street and another location I can't quite remember, was it somewhere near Handsworth?

Anybody?

there were three at Gervase, Lowedges, (Also now demolished)

The Martin street redevelopment had about seven blocks of flats, including the one that was "offset" with the Oxford Street address (Oxford Block)

Do you know why they decided to demolish that one in particular?

Legend has it that there was a fault in the ground under the third block, I do remember that there were terrible problems with the lift constantly being out of service.

if you Google map the location, you can see the scar on the right hand side of the land nearest the parade of shops at Herdings, where the third block stood:-

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Raeburn+Place,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.34317,-1.437629&spn=0.001227,0.002411&sll=53.343173,-1.425862&sspn=0.019626,0.038581&oq=Raeburn+Place&t=h&hnear=Raeburn+Pl,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S14,+United+Kingdom&z=19

I worked on the 13 story flats as they were known.

They came in threes. 3 each at Herdings, Martin Street and another location I can't quite remember, was it somewhere near Handsworth?

Anybody?

from memory, there were a number of developments where these flats stood.

The one-bedroomed were 12 storey, the two bedroomed were 14 stories in height.

Four blocks at Pitsmoor (Andover street West) two blocks one bed, two blocks two bedroomed. (demolished about 1987)

Three blocks at Atlantic road/ Gervase, Lowedges, all were one-bedroomed. (demolished about 1990?)

four blocks at Netherthorpe two one bedroomed, two blocks Two bedroomed, refurbished about 10/15 years ago.

Single block of one-bedrooms, Winn Gardens/ Winn Grove, Middlewood, Demolished about 15 years ago

Six blocks, One 2-bed, five one bed Callow mount/ road/ drive Newfield Green

Three Two-bed blocks Leverton Drive/ Leverton Gardens, Lansdowne estate Refurbished 2010.

Seven one-bedroomed blocks, 6 on Martin Street one on Oxford Street Refurbished about 15/20 years ago

• 2 weeks later...