MA defence against a gun

Recently I've watched a few YouTube clips that show how MA clubs (including a couple in Sheffield) teach defending oneself against an assailant with a gun (not that I ever expcect to be in that situation). In every one the assailant stands with the gun no more than a foot away from the intended victim. Do people armed with guns actually do that? I always thought that the whole idea of using a gun is that you don't have to get that up close and personal. Can anyone who teaches gun defence enlighten me please?

Edited by SiSiSi

Obviously if you want to just shoot someone you would do it from a distance, and again obviously there is no defensive technique against that, except maybe just ducking behind something. If however the attacker wants something from their victim, say if they are trying to rob them, they have to come up close. Happens all the time in the States. It's also a human thing, it's more threatening.

Being threatened with a firearm may appear tricky but I did a course at work where we learned a couple of methods.

The first is to shout "NO NO NO" in a shrill voice. That in itself has been known to cause attackers to drop their weapons and run off.

If the attacker is a veteran of the armed attack arena you may need phase 2 of the defences. This involves you feigning deafness and asking the attacker to come closer to explain his demands as you can't hear them.

Once "in range" you can revert to any one of the numerous weapons defences that appear on YouTube. Best one of course being the "looking up at the sky" trick whereupon you can either disarm the attacker or flee the scene.

Edited by Wroughton
More Info required

I prefer to catch the bullet in my teeth and spit it out in my hand and thank them for the present. Amazing what Bruce Lee films teach you.

Be careful of MA demos. They are carefully staged and (intentionally or not) the student will be cooperating with the teacher. Seen some quite subtle examples and some real "**** me you are taking the **** " bat**** crazy examples over the years.

I prefer to catch the bullet in my teeth and spit it out in my hand and thank them for the present. Amazing what Bruce Lee films teach you.

wasnt Bruce Lee it was "Remo unarmed and dangerous"