Morley Street - allotments - open meeting

The next meeting about the Morley Street allotments is on:

Wednesday 24 th October, 8 - 9.30 at Hillsborough arena community room.

All welcome

Does anyone know if the residents who live on Watersmeet Rd have had permission to extend there gardens in the old allotments, as I have clearly seen some have built decking beyond there boundary into the site.

i bet it was created by the compulsory purchase of the land, and then the total neglect for 20 or more yrs letting the existing asbestos roofed allotment sheds collapse.

Decontaminating areas of that size certainly isnt a cheap option. and to be honest not one i would be happy to see, it would involve removal of the top layer of soil, all buildings, plant life etc, which is then filtered or replaced. thats heavy and destructive work.

I know what you mean, but this route is probably better in the long run for the environment that leaving it as is. Although it may not look pretty initially.

I don't know the area, but aren't people who have existing allotments nearby worried about the asbestos in the soil? Has anyone done a soil test on their allotment recently?

I think it's great that the community appears to be interested, I wish that I could do more community-based ideas!