Advice on my cat please

My cat of 7 years has took a shine to weeing in my dogs bed. This has happened 4 times in the last 4 weeks. I dont know why she all of a sudden has started doing this. She has done it during the day and during the night. I came downstairs this morning to the smell of cat pee :gag: and had to put bed in washer and disinfect the area. I let her in around 9pm last night and she has always lasted through the night, waited till breakfast and then gone out around 7.30am. Anyone any ideas how I can put a stop to this? :help:

I heard of a friend's cat doing this on their (the owner's) bed, when she had developed cystitis. With her rear end being quite sore from the cystitis, she was wanting to wee somewhere soft. Is she meowing a lot when she wees? Being overweight or stressed can cause it - is she either of these?

Don't know if that helps at all. Good luck!

She did it during the night last night and I never heard her cry or anything. I put it down to her been lazy because at our old house she used to do it in our plant pot at bottom of stairs while ever the plan pot was there (went through so many plants). When we got rid of the plant pot she did not do it anywhere else in the house. She used to go outside, run onto neighbours garden, pee in their plant pot then come scratching back at front door to come back in. She is more of an indoor cat and you have to sometimes force her to go out. Also when she has done it the bed is sobbing wet like she has done it more than once through the night.

http://suite101.com/article/how-to-stop-a-cat-from-peeing-on-the-bed-a274246

http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-urinating-on-bed-how-to-clean-a-prevent-it

have a read of these articles. they suggest that, if you have ruled out medical problems, it is a result of anxiety/stress and they see your bed as a safe,soft place that smells of you.

you could get a second opinion and the vet should be able to advise how to treat the problem and offer training tips.

good luck

Thanks for that.

Nothing has changed at home and the bed has been down for 6 months but she only started doing this 1 month ago. She never did it in the old dog bed which was in same place. I have not noticed any change in her. She has always been a loving cat. Always wanting to be on your knee while you watch tv etc. She never ever misses a meal. Actually cries until you feed her (total opposite to my other cat)

May have to ring the vet and see if he has any info or wants me to take her in.

I've seen this a few times, and have had experience of it myself.

As another poster mentioned, the few times I've seen this suddenly start have been due to changes in the environment (which the owner may or may not be aware of straight away - it could be something going on outside the house).

This brings about a primal territory marking strategy, often specific to one area - in this case your dog's bed.

I would go to the vet and make sure there are no medical concerns, and assuming everything is ok from there, is there an option to remove the bed from the cats space at all?

Often removing the 'claimed' space or object, where possible, breaks the habbit