Wooden window frame revamp.. HELP!!

So its about time i started to give the house a tidy up:help:... Wooden windows are first on my list :D only problem is ive never done anything like it before... :confused:The windows are around 10 years old and in good overall condition ie not rotten, And id like to give them a new lick of paint. Hoping theres someone on here that can give me some advice on were to start :thumbsup:

Might be worth mentioning that the windows were originally done in some sort of stain or varnish NOT paint... not sure if this is a problem or not but id like to paint them white if possible thx :hihi::D

Hi,

I carry out handyman jobs for people

One problem is the incompatability of the old stain with a new primer as original stains may have been oil based (due to considerations for the environment) but most of the primer paints now sold in diy superstores are water based

I suggest you pick a window which is not seen much, sand it down, prime it, undercoat it, and gloss it to see if it sticks, before trying them all

Otherwise you may need to source some oil based primer/under/top coat

We did ours last summer from a similar condition to yours. We sanded them back as much as we could then as they were hardwood were advised to use an aluminium based primer, then it took 3 white top coats to cover. They are still looking great with no issues so far.

I would like to add that a primer is only really recommended on untreated, bare, new timber. You can what is called spot prime where you just prime the bare areas. a decent rub down is required and apply 2 or 3 coats of oil based undercoat depending how it looks after 2 coats, then apply a decent make of oil based gloss.