Station on Blackburn Road

For many years i have driven along blackburn road and noticed a building next to the old railway line. Was this a station at some point and does anyone know what it was called ?

Just doing some quick reasearch, I believe the station would have been "Meadowhall and Wincobank" on the Great Central Sheffield- Barnsley line.

I sadly never managed to visit the South Yorkshire Railway museum before it closed - I didn't know it was there (brilliant advertising obviously:rolleyes: ). Thanks for letting me know there is a building there - I intend to walk the route (now it is a cycle/footpath) in the near future. I don't suppose they left any track in situ?

I love your site! A friend of mine operates a site called railwaywalks.co.uk which details the various lines we as a group have walked.

A map of all railway lines built (bar colliery branches etc) in the south, midlands and yorkshire can de found at the New_Adlestrop_Railway_Atlas.pdf (hopefully a search engine will find it.

The Sheffield Victoria - Barnsley via Chapeltwon line was built in the 1840s (1846 springs to mind). The line closed as a through route in the late 1960s but remained open as far north as the Chapeltown area for freight use until the 1980s (another victim under Mrs T.)

The Great Central Railway Society should have more information.

Is this of any interest to you guys?

The station was indeed Meadowhall and Wincobank. There are many published photographs of the station including one in a book by Peter Harvey- can't remember the title but it's in a series of at least three books about old Sheffield. Pre WW2 one of the old steelworks in Sheffield also used it as a location for photographing any of their outsize products that were being transported by rail. In 1982 I took some colour slides of the remaining station buildings and signalbox for a history project at the University of Sheffield.

Originally posted by Pip_Elliott A map of all railway lines built (bar colliery branches etc) in the south, midlands and yorkshire can de found at the New_Adlestrop_Railway_Atlas.pdf (hopefully a search engine will find it.

Wow that map is brilliant

is there another part to this map ?

or haven't the done the rest of the country yet ?

Unfortunately I don't know if there is the rest of the country which is annoying as I want to find out the former layout of the Leeds & Bradford area.

Strix, thanks for those photos. The second looks like it was taken where the Meadowhall shopping centre is now.

The 'Woodhead' series of books by E.M. Johnson should have some photos of the Barnsley line - should be on everyone's Christmas list :)

For many years i have driven along blackburn road and noticed a building next to the old railway line. Was this a station at some point and does anyone know what it was called ?
my aunt & uncle lived in the station house for most of the 70s, indeed it was originally a station & had a platform to the rear & probably still has