Is Bullying A Problem In Sheffield Schools?

I agree the bullied person and their parents do need to work out a strategy to combat the bullying, sadly mine were not really able to do so, they did go down to school on many occasions but were more or less laughed at by the teachers, who even tried to say that the bullying was my fault because I was so shy :confused: I don't really think that teachers have a clue how to handle bullying, sadly I don't think that people in general don't, and when people can't find a way of dealing with it they often blame the victim because thats easiest.

Well said

The problem is that parents trying to deal with bullying require support from schools. Too many schools see bullying as a badge of shame and ignore it or cover it up.

I know of one recent case of a girl repeatedly bullied and the school refusing to help so she refused to go to school. She was thrown out of the school for non attendance. That's how Sharp deals with bullying. It's an absolute disgrace.

So basically nothing happened, the head teacher just used to laugh at me and my parents felt intimidated, they came from a generation that has respect for authority, ...no one helped!

And the consequence of that is today's lack of respect for authority. Teachers constantly moan about parents but they bring it on themselves by failing to deal with serious problems.

Well said

The problem is that parents trying to deal with bullying require support from schools. Too many schools see bullying as a badge of shame and ignore it or cover it up.

I know of one recent case of a girl repeatedly bullied and the school refusing to help so she refused to go to school. She was thrown out of the school for non attendance. That's how Sharp deals with bullying. It's an absolute disgrace.

I totally concur-it was a disgrace for the girl to absent herself,and the school took the appropriate action.However I do not see why you refer to Ms Sharp as she has no direct say in what individual schools do;they decide through their board of governors.

I totally concur-it was a disgrace for the girl to absent herself,and the school took the appropriate action.However I do not see why you refer to Ms Sharp as she has no direct say in what individual schools do;they decide through their board of governors.

I assume you are childless. If not I pity your kid(s).

Sharp has everything to do with it when parents have to resort to complaining to her because the schools are doing nothing. Her responsibility is to ensure every child in this city has the best possible outcome from the education tax payers pay for. Given that Sheffield is 131st in the country for education I suggest it's a responsibility she is totally unsuited for.

The worst bullying I have ever seen was in High Stoors. What did the headmistress do at the time? Suggest the victim move schools after he was physically attacked. Bullying needs to be addressed more strictly with more sever consequences.

My daughter was bullied and was given a mentor to help her out, who addmited hidding from her so he didn't have to deal with it, i even have this in writing in his report's, he also told me to take her out of school and he would arrange home schooling,but when he found out there where no fund's left for this he denied this and arrived with the attendence officer and threatened me with prison. After lot's of meeting's with year head's and other bodies of the school i was phoned at home and more or less threatened by the headmisstrss who was told by my legal aid she could not contact me again. I have lot's of written reports that i took to a solicitor and was advised to sue for the lack of education my girl had but she just wanted it over and forgoten. It still makes me so mad that they all got away with treating my girl this way but have to respect her wishes.

I am 58 years old and will always remember the bullying, verbal and physical violence I was subject to whilst at grammar school. I clearly remember the names of the two boys who bullied me (I am female) and wonder if they remember me, and what they did to me. I think not. What would they would think and how would they feel if a daughter of theirs was bullied at school by boys. I ended up having to change schools as nothing was done about it. Bullying affects a child for life and needs to be stamped out. I dont think bullies realise the life long effect their bullying has on others.

Edited by tasha_78_1

I assume you are childless. If not I pity your kid(s).

Sharp has everything to do with it when parents have to resort to complaining to her because the schools are doing nothing. Her responsibility is to ensure every child in this city has the best possible outcome from the education tax payers pay for. Given that Sheffield is 131st in the country for education I suggest it's a responsibility she is totally unsuited for.

Your pity is misplaced-save it for yourself as you clearly have problems.Sharp has indirect responsibility which is devolved to schools,and cannot be held liable in person.somewhere has to occupy place 131 in the tables,why not Sheffield?You seem to think all solutions lie with the school rather than assume responsibility.On economic matters you advocate liberty,but now you want the state to micro-manage your personal problems.This is highly contradictory and and it seems you are confused,and make random comments to agitate your audience.

I am 58 years old and will always remember the bullying, verbal and physical violence I was subject to whilst at grammar school. I clearly remember the names of the two boys who bullied me (I am female) and wonder if they remember me, and what they did to me. I think not. What would they would think and how would they feel if a daughter of theirs was bullied at school by boys. I ended up having to change schools as nothing was done about it. Bullying affects a child for life and needs to be stamped out. I dont think bullies realise the life long effect their bullying has on others.

The last point made is accurate but remember bullies are also children.

My daughter was bullied and was given a mentor to help her out, who addmited hidding from her so he didn't have to deal with it, i even have this in writing in his report's, he also told me to take her out of school and he would arrange home schooling,but when he found out there where no fund's left for this he denied this and arrived with the attendence officer and threatened me with prison. After lot's of meeting's with year head's and other bodies of the school i was phoned at home and more or less threatened by the headmisstrss who was told by my legal aid she could not contact me again. I have lot's of written reports that i took to a solicitor and was advised to sue for the lack of education my girl had but she just wanted it over and forgoten. It still makes me so mad that they all got away with treating my girl this way but have to respect her wishes.

You have chosen not to pursue this matter which does suggest you find the way ahead too much trouble.Your solicitor was presumably likely to benefit from litigation,why did you fail to act on their advice?you have a grievance against the school but have allowed them to fail others by your inertia.

You have chosen not to pursue this matter which does suggest you find the way ahead too much trouble.Your solicitor was presumably likely to benefit from litigation,why did you fail to act on their advice?you have a grievance against the school but have allowed them to fail others by your inertia.

My daught was ready for leaving school at this time and just wanted it all to be left behind her. It was not upto me to persue this the solicitor said it had to be her and she did not want to even with my support.

My daught was ready for leaving school at this time and just wanted it all to be left behind her. It was not upto me to persue this the solicitor said it had to be her and she did not want to even with my support.

I am surprised that you did not have the right to pursue this matter,given you were threatened by the head.It would seem both you and your daughter had separate issues meaning either or both could have taken some action.What is your daughter doing now,is she fine?