Darnall Turin Street

davide463

Hi Forum...New to this thing so hope you can bear with me. Just been reading some great memories about Darnall and the Whitby Rd area. I just found out that my grandfather was living on Turin street and may have gone to the Whitby Rd School. I have found an old map of the area but of course it's all gone now. Does anyone remember the area and does anyone happen to have pictures of this old treet. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Hi David, can't really help you with your enquiry although I did go to Whitby Road School in the late 1960's to early 70's. Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum and to WARN you....this site can be addictive!!. P.S. What year did your grandfather live on Turin St.? The road name could have been changed in later years. All the best in your search.

Hi there 'rose!! Thanks so much for the welcome. Am sure I am going to derive a lot of pleasure from the site. All of this stuff is fairly new to us as we have recently made big steps forward in my family tree. Fred Rodgers was 10 when he lived at Turin St on the 1911 census. I have found a map showing the street which I believe is now a car park. It is right across the street from the cemetary chapel entrance. I read an article about someone who went to Whitby Rd School and realised that Fred may have gone there too as a kid. So here I am just trying to tie up loose ends so to speak. Thanks again for the welcome

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Turin Street. You could either go up Vine Street or Coventry Street and Turin Street was across the top with the cemetery gates on one corner of the street. The Stocks family lived on Turin Street. There was a pub on the corner, but, having said that, there was a pub on every corner down Darnall. I also went to Whitby Road School during the early sixties. Coventry Street still exists because of the cemetery but all the housing has gone. Those were happy days with a tight knit community and a busy neighbourhood.

Regards from Kevin

Hi Kevin and thanks for the post. I checked out the area on Google maps and kinda worked out where Turin St used to be. According to the 1911 census, my Grandad (Fred Rodgers) lived at number 12 when he was about 10. Before your time am sure.Would have been nice to be able to visit the house but, like many such houses they made way for "progress" huh? Next time I am in the area though, I will take a walk in the cemetary and see if i can spot any of my family in there.

Another quick question about Darnall/Brightside. Does anyone know where Fitzalan Street, is or was in Brightside please? This is where my paternal grendfather was born and am wondering just how close it was to Turin Street? Thanks for any information.

Hi Hillsbro and thanks so much for the information. Looks like both my Great grandads grew up within a good bike or tram ride of each other. Love the picture am sure I could even pick out his house if I knew one of the numbers. Thanks again Hillsbro.

Another quick question about Darnall/Brightside. Does anyone know where Fitzalan Street, is or was in Brightside please? This is where my paternal grendfather was born and am wondering just how close it was to Turin Street? Thanks for any information

Fitzalan Street is in Pitsmoor