Meditation MEGATHREAD

Richard..

could i ask do you know anything about the benefits of this kind of thing...

im just reading a kindle book about the pineal gland and one of the exercises in it is a controlled breathing one but this one you press your right nostril and just breath up your left then back out, then swap over and block the left nostril while breathing in then out of the right etc.. it is saying that this works better at working and energising both sides of the brain better than just standard both nostril breath meditations?

what are your opinions on that please ?

x

exact word for word..

Yogic Breathing Indian yoga pranayama breathing dates back thousands of years. Your nose is directly linked to your brain and nervous system. The evidence is that breathing only through your left nostril accesses the right “feeling” hemisphere of your brain, and breathing only through your right nostril accesses the left “thinking” hemisphere of your brain. Consciously alternating your breath between your nostrils can therefore allow you to activate and access your whole brain. Method 10 – Alternate Nostril Breathing. Alternate nostril breathing is a yoga breathing technique that calms the mind and directly energizes the third eye chakra. You can perform it as follows: * * * * *

* Rest the base of the palm of your right hand on your chin, and your three middle fingers on your forehead. If necessary rest your elbow on a table or desk.

* * * * * * Gently press your left nostril closed with your little finger, and breathe in through your right nostril.

* * * * * * Now close your right nostril with your thumb, and slowly breathe out through your left nostril.

* * * * * * Next, breathe in through your left nostril, while your thumb holds the right nostril closed.

* * * * * * Finally, breathe out through your right nostril, while holding your left nostril closed with your little finger.

* * * * * * Repeat this process until your mind is clear of thoughts and feels relaxed.

* * * * * * Once your mind is quiet and relaxed, rest your hands on your lap or on a table and begin slow deep breathing through your nose.

* * * * * * Eventually you will slip into a very deep meditative state. If you have enough residual energy from this breathing exercise, your third eye or crown chakra will awaken, you will see brilliant flashes of light inside your brain, and you will experience a sensation of bliss.

Ammon-Wexler, Dr. Jill (2011-11-07). Pineal Gland and Third Eye: How to Develop "Conscious Self" Psychic Abilities (Kindle Locations 1537-1548). Quantum Self Group, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Hi Rainbow, sorry for the delay, it appears you posted this just as I went offline :(

I couldn't tell you if it energises the brain more or not, but I can tell you why I can't tell you from two points of view, and offer an educated opinion.

Firstly the only way you can tell if the brain is being affected by meditation is by looking at brain scans before, after and during it. From the studies I've seen the brain is affected by it, the most famous example being of the French Tibetan Buddhist monk who's name escapes me showing extra high levels of .... something or other, I can't really remember the details but they are available via google as I've looked at them before.

Specific forms of meditation would require specific studies to see if, and how they affect the brain, so you'd be better off approaching someone who is more of an academic in that particular field for the answer to that specific question.

Secondly meditation can get, erm, a bit in depth depending on which 'method' you use. My particular interest is in Buddhist meditation, just to give you a bit of a scope about how complex it can become the Buddhist literature names fourty (I'm sure it's fourty, doing it from memory again) different types of meditation if you include post canonical scripture.

Most Buddhist meditation used in the west comprises two of those fourty forms, anapanasati meditation is the most widespread, basically it is 'mindfulness meditation', it was around at the time of the Buddha and is not specifically Buddhist, today it is used widely outside Buddhism.

The other form is Vipassana, which basically means insight, or analysis would probably be better, it requires directed evaluation of mental states and was developed by the Buddha, and is strictly Buddhist in context. Vipassana is the key element of the Buddhist practice.

This is just Buddhism, there are many other varieties in other traditions, there value lies not in which is the 'best' but which is most appropriate for the goals you want to acheive, so for some Buddhist meditation may be absolutely useless for what they are trying to acheive.

So because of a mixture of the above two reasons I can't tell you whether that particular method is 'better' at energising the brain, the only way to find out would be to try it yourself (ideally by finding someone who knows what they're on about) as books tend to be a little, erm, hard to follow for the subtleties that meditation provides. Alas I have not used that particular method so I can't really give you any tips, sorry :(

My opinion on it is that it sounds ok, but it has to, and this is vitally important and is often ignored by students and teachers of meditation, be done in context of the teachings surrounding it. Energizing your brain for the object (and I'm guessing here but it's clearly Hindu meditation so I'll go with general thing - this is not gospel) of opening the Chakras is pointless if your aim is relaxation. Always choose your meditation on your goals, not on what people tell you it will do for you.

Just as an afterthought and if you've read this thread from the beginning you will have heard me say this before - the flashing and the 'bliss' is seen from the Buddhist perspective as a by product, and resting in that state can be detrimental to further insight.

That, let me stress, is not me saying Buddhist meditation is better, only that this is the case from the Buddhist perspective - if your goal is flashing lights and bliss then that is the perfect meditation for you.

Sorry for the long winded post and sorry for not being able to give you an answer, but I like to include as much information as possible so you can make an informed descision.

Thankyou so much for that very informative post Richard.

Please forgive a very breif answer from me im on my phone and its quite difficult to answer properly. I will add more tomorrow.

You are right the purpose for me wanting to know is because im wanting a really good chakra meditation. Something abit more than the standard ones i have tried over the years.

Ill be more specific tomorrow.

Thankyou again

X

edit ..... over the years iv tried meditating lots but at home i always manage to fall asleep. especially the guided ones, i just seem to go off on a tangent with them and end up asleep. ( i am fine if im with a group, the thought of falling off a chair snoring in front of everyone sems to keep me awake LOL ) the breathing ones i dont seem to have much luck with as i just seem to end up hyperventilating or just getting out of breath.

so i tend to give up for a few months then have another go then give up...

BUT i am now wanting to get back into it propely and on a regular daily basis.

its chakra meditations im looking at in particular though.

:)

Edited by RainbowAngel
adding abit

iv just found this free kindle book on amazon , i dont know what its like as i havent downloaded it yet. i thought id share quickly incase it stops being free :)

meditation for beginners

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meditation-Beginners-Guide-Leads-ebook/dp/B00805XQE4?SubscriptionId=1GVBN9WWNVXC5DBPE502&tag=kiq-free-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00805XQE4

over the years iv tried meditating lots but at home i always manage to fall asleep. especially the guided ones, i just seem to go off on a tangent with them and end up asleep. ( i am fine if im with a group, the thought of falling off a chair snoring in front of everyone sems to keep me awake LOL ) the breathing ones i dont seem to have much luck with as i just seem to end up hyperventilating or just getting out of breath.

so i tend to give up for a few months then have another go then give up...[/Quote]

Falling alseep is quite common during breath meditation.

In my experience* this is usually because the method of instruction is either poor or incomplete and/or because your aim is not concentration on the breath but a nice floaty experience.

There are a couple of ways around it, firstly you can 'energize' your breathing by making it heavier, faster/slower, fast in/slow out (or slow in/fast out). There is absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting and seeing what works for you. If you're concentrating on the breath it doesn't have to be deep, slow and relaxing, so many people think when meditating it has to be deep and relaxing. If your goal is concentrating on the breath then that is exactly what you should do (concentrate).

The second way is by taking yourself away from your normal sitting/lying position into something else. The Buddha taught (I'm well aware you're not wanting specific Buddhist meditation but this may help anyone reading this) that meditation was to be carried out in all tasks, including walking.

A sure way of avoiding falling to sleep while meditating is by walking, the Buddha gave specific instruction on this but essentially just do your normal meditation (eyes open!) while walking. Either set yourself a route or just pace back and forth.

I'm not sure why your hyperventilating without seeing you do it/listening to what instruction your using. Just relax, breath naturally and breath in a way that is right for you - at the risk of being way off the mark I would suggest your trying to concentrate too hard.

BUT i am now wanting to get back into it propely and on a regular daily basis.

its chakra meditations im looking at in particular though.

Good look, like I said I don't really have any experience in that but do share your findings for those on the thread that may be interested in it.

*I'm saying this because I don't want to be jumped on by people saying 'There you go again thinking you know it all', There is so much I don't know about meditation, all I'm doing is offering to share insights that I have gained in my own practice and observing others, there is no criticism intended towards anyone else's practice in any way, shape or form, there can't be because we all have our own goals and what works for one doesn't work for all. I'm just sharing general principles that do generally work accross the board.

Falling alseep is quite common during breath meditation.

In my experience* this is usually because the method of instruction is either poor or incomplete and/or because your aim is not concentration on the breath but a nice floaty experience.

There are a couple of ways around it, firstly you can 'energize' your breathing by making it heavier, faster/slower, fast in/slow out (or slow in/fast out). There is absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting and seeing what works for you. If you're concentrating on the breath it doesn't have to be deep, slow and relaxing, so many people think when meditating it has to be deep and relaxing. If your goal is concentrating on the breath then that is exactly what you should do (concentrate).

The second way is by taking yourself away from your normal sitting/lying position into something else. The Buddha taught (I'm well aware you're not wanting specific Buddhist meditation but this may help anyone reading this) that meditation was to be carried out in all tasks, including walking.

A sure way of avoiding falling to sleep while meditating is by walking, the Buddha gave specific instruction on this but essentially just do your normal meditation (eyes open!) while walking. Either set yourself a route or just pace back and forth.

I'm not sure why your hyperventilating without seeing you do it/listening to what instruction your using. Just relax, breath naturally and breath in a way that is right for you - at the risk of being way off the mark I would suggest your trying to concentrate too hard.

Good look, like I said I don't really have any experience in that but do share your findings for those on the thread that may be interested in it.

*I'm saying this because I don't want to be jumped on by people saying 'There you go again thinking you know it all', There is so much I don't know about meditation, all I'm doing is offering to share insights that I have gained in my own practice and observing others, there is no criticism intended towards anyone else's practice in any way, shape or form, there can't be because we all have our own goals and what works for one doesn't work for all. I'm just sharing general principles that do generally work accross the board.

I think its the big long breath in to the count of around 4 then the hold for 4 then the breath out for 4 kind of ones.

after a few of these i get right out of breath so just cant get to the relaxing breath naturally state :|

ill try that way that you have just said to try and let you know how i go with that.

iv been a little bit busy lately so not had chance to do much of anything really . ill keep posting on here though with any experience or updates.

Thankyou lots for all your advice :)

Blessings

x

I think its the big long breath in to the count of around 4 then the hold for 4 then the breath out for 4 kind of ones.

after a few of these i get right out of breath so just cant get to the relaxing breath naturally state :|[/Quote]

Ooooooooouuuuwch.

You're not concentrating on the breath doing that, sounds more like a method to achieve a nice floaty feeling, not my cup of tea that!

Thankyou lots for all your advice :)

Blessings

x

Thank me if it helps you acheive what you're after, if not feel free to ridicule me as much as you like :hihi::hihi:

Off to work now, bye bye.

Ooooooooouuuuwch.

You're not concentrating on the breath doing that, sounds more like a method to achieve a nice floaty feeling, not my cup of tea that!

Thank me if it helps you acheive what you're after, if not feel free to ridicule me as much as you like :hihi::hihi:

Off to work now, bye bye.

ohh it did that alright but it wasnt a nice floaty feeling it was like that nasty lightheadedness that you get after youv just blown a bag of balloons up :o

my bold bit ..... i will dont you worry bout that ** giggles**

have a nice day at work, im busy cracking the whip here we now have only 3 weeks and 6 days to get the latest project ready for the next big mini show :o:o

x