Sheffield Corporation City Engineers.

BIGJON

Anyone remember a lorry that belonged to Sheffield Corporation City Engineers. It was a Foden 4 wheeler, lovely maroon colour and always shiny.

It used to pull a trailer for moving plant and machines to council jobs.

Think it would be early sixties.A photo would be super.

All the City Engineers lorries were maroon with the letters SCCE on the side at that time. In the 1950 and 60's my father was the transport officer for that fleet of lorries. Sorry I do not have a photo of the vehicle you mention.

Anyone remember a lorry that belonged to Sheffield Corporation City Engineers. It was a Foden 4 wheeler, lovely maroon colour and always shiny.

It used to pull a trailer for moving plant and machines to council jobs.

Think it would be early sixties.A photo would be super.

That vehicle was parked at the Olive Grove depot and was still in use into the 70s this post has now given me a memory block trying to remember the drivers name anybody out there PLEASE HELP I rode SHOTGUN on many occations transporting my MASTER PAVIOUR road roller to different sites late 60s early 70s :huh: .

All the City Engineers lorries were maroon with the letters SCCE on the side at that time. In the 1950 and 60's my father was the transport officer for that fleet of lorries. Sorry I do not have a photo of the vehicle you mention.

I believe that is before transport manager Jim Kay I started working on the council in 1966 spent 6 month labouring and mating a stone mason then driving plant and transport for the next 24yrs HAPPY DAYS :love: .

I believe that is before transport manager Jim Kay I started working on the council in 1966 spent 6 month labouring and mating a stone mason then driving plant and transport for the next 24yrs HAPPY DAYS :love: .

hiya jack just remembered when i worked ont corp late 50s we had a job on the endcliffe park entrance behind the seating building on the right, it was to finish the crazy paved area at the back ,anyhow we had a west indian start working with us and there weren't many around at the time ,when one of the older labourers asked him how long had he been in this country, his answer was six months, the bloke who asked him said "thas learnt english good in that time ant tha", he didn't realise the west indians were taught english at school.

I have just finished searching through some old family photos and found 3 of SCCE vehicles, including the foden tractor unit. The man on that photo is called George Munton. I believe the tram was being taken to the Crich Tramway museum. I do not know the name of the gentleman on the other photo, I think the pictures were taken on the road outside Olive Grove Depot. The three pictures are here;

http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w397/AlanMN/

That vehicle was parked at the Olive Grove depot and was still in use into the 70s this post has now given me a memory block trying to remember the drivers name anybody out there PLEASE HELP I rode SHOTGUN on many occations transporting my MASTER PAVIOUR road roller to different sites late 60s early 70s :huh: .

If i remember the drivers name was Johnny Holmes he also had a drivers mate whos name if i remember was Jim ( cant remember surname]. Worked at Olive Grove from 63/70 happy days.

If i remember the drivers name was Johnny Holmes he also had a drivers mate whose name if i remember was Jim ( cant remember surname]. Worked at Olive Grove from 63/70 happy days.

Hi brinkman

Thanks for the reply you have now stopped my single brain cell working overtime I have not been able to remember Johnny's name for quite a long time as I remember he was a short guy with a bald head but a good old stick like yourself I cant remember his co-pilot's name I remember on a few occasions whenever the plant I was driving at the time was broke down and in the repair shop I went out with Johnny transporting drotts, 360s etc know doubt we will know each other I worked from 66 to 90 on the SCCE/SWD if you don't know my real name "IRONBAR JACK" might ring a bell if you don't want to divulge your real name on the open pages please feel free to send me a personal message as I should like to know who you are CHEERS.

Archived