Energy crisis and the economy

Sorry but that must be a different 'crackpot'. I did used to post about this subject and always claimed that Peak Oil would occur about 2008 followed by an economic collapse (happening as we speak), then total collapse of civilization as we know it in about 2012, I maybe wrong (I hope I am) it maybe a year so later if we're lucky but it's going to happen.

How do you envision total collapse of civilisation. What will happen?

I'm with you part of the way with the peak oil scenario. Obviously oil is a finite resource which will run out one day. We are also increasing the human population of the planet at an alarming rate, so these two things combined don't bode well.

There are other sources of energy apart from oil and the recent discovery of vast reserves of shale-gas should keep us going for quite a while, but ultimately we need to put some limit on human population. It's the big problem that no one wants to talk about.

How do you envision total collapse of civilisation. What will happen?

I'm with you part of the way with the peak oil scenario. Obviously oil is a finite resource which will run out one day. We are also increasing the human population of the planet at an alarming rate, so these two things combined don't bode well.

There are other sources of energy apart from oil and the recent discovery of vast reserves of shale-gas should keep us going for quite a while, but ultimately we need to put some limit on human population. It's the big problem that no one wants to talk about.

Although I see population growth as a problem, it’s the population that is already here that posses a bigger problem, if everyone one on the planet started consuming even half of what we consume in the west then we would soon be in trouble. China is a good example as their people started to want what we have, world prices of all commodities went up because of increased demand. The planet couldn’t sustain its current population if everyone increased their consumption to the average American.

Profits for power generators are ridiculousy sky high, yet the public are stuggling to pay bills so cut down on the energy they use. This hits the profits of the power generators, we can't have that can we, and therefore they increase the tariffs to offset the shortfall.

Interesting how the term, "Fuel Poverty," is to be redefined because the government knows that even more people are going to die this winter because they can't afford to heat their homes and eat food. Don't look at us, we're not murderers .... it's not our fault .... etc. We have changed the definition of fuel pverty so we're not accountable.