Virgin Active or Pure Gym?

Pure Gym - lot cheaper at £16.99 p/m

Virgin I think charge around £48 is that correct ?

Aside from the cost factor, is there any advantage to using Pure Gym? I have been an on/off member of Virgin for the past 10 years but kept stopping for carious reasons I couldnt make full use of the gym more than 2/3 times a week.

Which do you use and why.

Pure gym - although it doesn't have saunas, jacuzzis or coffee bars, its does have all the equipment you need.

Sitting in a jacuzzi isn't going to get you fit, but running on a treadmill will.

So Pure Gym for me

Pure gym - although it doesn't have saunas, jacuzzis or coffee bars, its does have all the equipment you need.

Sitting in a jacuzzi isn't going to get you fit, but running on a treadmill will.

So Pure Gym for me

How's the free weights section in there?

So Pure Gym for me

what's the simming pool like ? That's the only thing I go to the gym for.

I am a member at Virgin Active....don`t do it! Too expensive....I will stop my membership soon! For what you pay you should have amazing changing rooms (and often are dirty!), most of the group classes are not that good, the music from the spinning classes is so laud that you can hear your own music...plus very old cardio machines...bad showers...

I am a member at Virgin Active....don`t do it! Too expensive....I will stop my membership soon! For what you pay you should have amazing changing rooms (and often are dirty!), most of the group classes are not that good, the music from the spinning classes is so laud that you can hear your own music...plus very old cardio machines...bad showers...

That's what I have heard about virgin. The dance music being on so loud that it becomes offensive, which is why I never joined.

To be perfectly honest, I would not want to promote a gym too much because it would make it busier, I could easily imagine being a member at virgin and slagging it off so that less people join and I can swim more easily. But I am not and have never been a member of it.

its strange. i first became a member of Virgin in Leeds many years ago (used to work close by). Really loved it. Then they came to sheffield and I joined as a founding member by transferring from Leeds, so got a 'special' founding member rate, which I think at the time was £39 a month with no monthly contract.

They have a nice pool and I do like some of their classes, and I do agree about the loud music LOL. I'm not sure what you mean by dirty changing rooms. I thought they were OK and definitely MUCH MUCH cleaner than the Ponds Forge ones !!

I had been alternating between Ponds Forge and Virgin over the past few years then stopped altogether. Virgin was too expensive. Ponds Forge changing rooms/sauna too dirty for my liking and their swimming pool was never very welcoming for adults and always seems to be booked at weekends for events.

Pure Gym seems to be the perfect balance so far. Decent classes, decent price, nothing too fancy. You pay for what you get.

If you have money, try a smarter way to spend them...don`t give your money to Virgin Active!

If you have money, try a smarter way to spend them...don`t give your money to Virgin Active!

:nono:

Lol Greens Gym then its just about 10mins away! You get what you pay for with these type of gyms although fairly expensive!!!

Surely it depends on what you're after in terms of facilities in addition to the machines and weights? Does Pure Gym offer classes? That's what I use Virgin for. I agree about the music at Virgin, not only the hideous stuff on that loop in the gym but the music from the spinning classes is very loud, which personally does not bother me as I do the classes but I can see how it would annoy/irritate other gym users. That's the problem with the gym layout and not having a dedicated spinning suite, which I heard some time ago was supposed to happen.

ETA: Just checked the Pure Gym website, it does offer classes. Sounds like an excellent deal. I joined Virgin 7 years ago when I moved back to Sheffield as it has a creche which I needed for my kids at the time, the youngest of whom was a pre-schooler. A 24 hour gym is an excellent idea for people who work unsociable hours and/or do shift work.

Edited by Suffragette1