Little Black Flies!!

What harm are these tiny black flies causing,

are they biting people and spreading some sort of plague ..

:suspect:

No but they have a nasty habit of laying eggs in food.

Dont worry the MASSIVE spiders will have them - is it just us but are the 'seasonal' spiders bigger this year - we have had some giants!!!

I am having a great time catching them - my wife and daughters think i am very brave and my cred has gone off the scale!!!

It could be peat flies, if you have houseplants in your home, the compost carries these little black flies, you can get pesticide, that comes in little cardboard, sticks you put in the compost and it kills them all.

hi, i am sitting in my front room squatting them one by one, so annoying

Squatting ???

Dont worry the MASSIVE spiders will have them - is it just us but are the 'seasonal' spiders bigger this year - we have had some giants!!!

I am having a great time catching them - my wife and daughters think i am very brave and my cred has gone off the scale!!!

Eating all those Flies will only make them bigger! gulp!

I say, the little blighters are all over the place outside!!!

You can't walk down our road without em going up your hooter! :o

Hi, i'm having a similar problem with tiny black flies which seem to gather around the herbs growing [they are the shop bought living plant type herbs] on the kitchen window sill and if you touch or move the herbs these flies will just swarm up, i've started to put the container outside during the day to see it will help, is there anything else I can try?

Theyre soil flies. Come in on houseplants and lay tons of eggs in the soil. Their larvae are tiny little clear maggots in the soil. Pretty harmless.

You can put sticky collars around the plant or make sure there's a thick layer of gravel to deny them access to the soil.

Only real way of ridding them though is flea spray on all the surrounding area. Anywhere they land, curtains, windowsills etc.

Edit: Obviously you can't use flea spray if the plants are edible.

Thank you Teddybare for your help, I have seen articals stating that those pot herbs you buy in supermarkets can have this problem because they don't sterilize the soil, but not sure how true that is, but we potted these on into compost that was freshly opened for the purpose