Help Me Save a Building from being Demolished in the City Centre

And what's wrong with that? Are you saying that things need to be kept just because they are old?

Times move on, people need to stop living in the past.

Today will become tomorrow and tomorrow will also become outdated. We need to preserve something of our past or there will be nothing to remember it by.

I think it's time to move on and knock buckingham palace down and tower bridge and all the other dated buildings etc around the country and keep on doing the same in 20 or so years with the new buildings that will have by then become outdated and so on.

Today will become tomorrow and tomorrow will also become outdated. We need to preserve something of our past or there will be nothing to remember it by.

I think it's time to move on and knock buckingham palace down and tower bridge and all the other dated buildings etc around the country and keep on doing the same in 20 or so years with the new buildings that will have by then become outdated and so on.

Buckingham Palace and Tower Bridge aren't that old, really. However, they are still functioning buildings that are well maintained. It isn't exactly the same thing as a disused building in a little used corner of the town centre that not many people care about.

Buckingham Palace and Tower Bridge aren't that old, really. However, they are still functioning buildings that are well maintained. It isn't exactly the same thing as a disused building in a little used corner of the town centre that not many people care about.

MOST of the rooms in BC are not even used!!! I say knock it down as it's useless:hihi:

Actually, it appears that a lot of people do CARE about "a disused building in a little used corner of the town centre that not many people care about." That is why the Council has decided that planning permission is required in this case.

Actually, it appears that a lot of people do CARE about "a disused building in a little used corner of the town centre that not many people care about." That is why the Council has decided that planning permission is required in this case.

Or... A few people care and they cause a lot of fuss. I still haven't heard a good reason for keeping it so I expect it to be rubble before long.

So in that case we should never ever knock any building down. Everything that is ever built should stay in place forever so that you can remember it.

I'm not sure why people can't remember the building by looking at pictures. It doesn't have a negative effect on your life if it is knocked down and there is no real viable reason why it 'needs' to be kept.

Time is not a valid reason either. Perhaps the Berlin wall should have been kept up for people to remember?

No that is not the case, it's that Sheffield seems or appears to like knocking buildings down at a whim. Leeds and i'm not a fan of Leeds, but that city does still have quite a lot of historic buildings still standing in it's town centre, and because of that it has at least some history about it to this very day. Some of Sheffield's old buildings were bombed and that could not be helped, but Hitller isn't here any longer, unless we still have smaller versions hanging around the city wishing to demolish the rest that Hitler failed to down himself.

Edited by Joe9T

Perhaps the Berlin wall should have been kept up for people to remember?

I believe parts of it are still standing!

The BBC "wiped" a lot of vintage recordings of Top of the Pops and I know that they now wish that they hadn't. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, until you realise too late, but you just cannot ever turn back time and do things differently. I wish I could go back in time because the future holds very little and the past seemed so much happier and that is not looking through rose tinted spectacles. The past had it's bad points, but people were happier, more friendlier and now those days are being demolished further by the constant removal of historic buildings that need not be demolished at all.

no wonder we are all in a financial mess when we waste so much money on demolishing buildings that are just fine as they are... still standing. They can be modernised a little to make them look better in the 21st century if needs be, but why oh why just bulldoze them?

The fire station near Charter Row is now a Car Park for pete's sake.. a car park!!! What on earth was ever wrong with that building that must have cost millions to build 25 yrs ago?

The ONLY building I would knock down and regretably as again it must have cost the taxpayer millions to build, is the old manpower services commission at the bottom of the moor. To me it is and has always been the biggest carbunkle standing in the centre of Sheffield and really ruined access to the Moor, which was a wonderful shopping area prior to it being built in th late 70s.

Tell me why!

Ive just told you why silly. Sheffield needs to be modernised, and stop trying to live in a past that dosent want it anymore.

Ive just told you why silly. Sheffield needs to be modernised, and stop trying to live in a past that dosent want it anymore.

Modernised? The city has been in constant modernisation and re modernisation for the past 40 yrs or so. We build a modern building and then we knock it down a few yrs later.:confused::loopy:

Modernised? The city has been in constant modernisation and re modernisation for the past 40 yrs or so. We build a modern building and then we knock it down a few yrs later.:confused::loopy:

and you think sheffield is modern?? take a look at some other cities, and they put us to shame. there are old delapitated buildings still standing in sheffield that were just as bad 40 years ago. get rid of all those eyesores, and move on.