Where to buy maggots in Sheffield?

dane_hughes

every tackle shop I know sells maggots & hemp

obviously depends where you are from, but round here there are several good shops

bagup at chapeltown

dg angling at High Green

kerfoot on Halifax road

dawsons, holme lane (I used to go in here when it was WG Dawson, with grandad, dad, mother & son all working in the shop)

tackle 2 fish near Monty's on penistone road

tardis at firth park

hemp-wise I'd agree with maharg, 1pt dry hemp in a 1ltr vacuum flask, fill up to the brim with boiling water & leave overnight or buy frozen from tackle shop, usually pretty cheap

tinned hemp works out very expensive & can often be rubbish

uncooked hemp floats, and that's about it!

can't possibly do any more harm than cooked hemp, unless you count it getting stuck in their teeth

cooking it doesn't 'purify' it, it simply softens, darkens & opens it

• 2 weeks later...
Unprepared or incorrectly prepared particle baits can injure and kill fish. This is why many waters have banned them. Particles are cheap and effective, and recommended.

This has been mentioned previously in this thread but the previous poster regarding the dangers of uncooked hemp perhaps didn't see my question asking about the damage it can cause, so if you have any info froggi I would appreciate learning of any harm using hemp in particular in it's raw state.

• 1 year later...

As far as I know, uncooked hemp can swell in the digestive tract of a fish, possibly causing a blockage and a potential for the fish to expire.... That's the reason I wouldn't use uncooked hemp.... That's my understanding and it's supported by reading to confirm my thoughts

Hope this helps

Additional - This is the same for other particle baits - tiger nuts, pigeon feed, maize/sweetcorn etc.... Particle baits in an unprepared state, are in most circumstances, hard as it's usually dried in order to preserve it or give it a shelf life.

Think about it this way, before the stuff that's used as bait/feed was used by anglers, it more than likely had a previous useage.... The most obvious I can think of is pigeon feed..... Before it was used for feeding birds it more than likely had another use but that I don't know so can't comment on..... Maize (an ingredient of some animal feeds) or sweetcorn is cooked before it's tinned/frozen for human consumption. Corn is soft as it comes off the cob but in order to use the seed for replanting, it's dried to give it longevity so it can be stored until the next growing season.... That's how most seed crops are kept and stored for the next planting including wheat, barley, rye etc.... this is my slant on it and I welcome those in the know either putting me right or adding their thoughts

Edited by froggi
Additional info

Ok Jethro.... Hope this helps.... Cut and pasted from BFW (Barbel Fishing World)... Particular interest in this case to first and second sections.... Have read this in other forums/other sources too people..... Urban myth or total truth, I dunno but I tend to err on the side of caution where fish/fishing is concerned

Re: Uncooked Hemp??

1. Just about all (angling) Particle suppliers recommend

cooking of all particles. This was a big issue in Carp Fishing

some time ago, after Carp rolled over with expanded particles

(not hemp) stuck in their digestive tract. I remain convinced

that all particles should be prepared appropriately, which

includes some form of cooking - scalding is sufficient with

some correctly prepared particles.

2. Uncooked particles can germinate after passing through

fishes digestive tract (lucky fish - they got shot of the

possibly expanding items). Some go beyond germination,

take root and grow. Depends on the plants preferred growing

environment, which ones do.

3. Hemp as Snails. Don't buy into the theory. Barbel like many

fish feed by scent as much as sight - those barbules have

receptors that "equate" to smell. No way is hemp, cooked or

otherwise, going to produce the amino-protein trail of a snail

colony. And sight in murky, cloudy water or at night? So the

visual resemblance aspect of the theory does not seem right

either.

4. Hemp is attractive to fish with a potent scent signal. as it

happens to be small (and usually in sizeable clumps) they

deploy the same feeding behaviour as with other small food

items, such as snails which are small and found in sizeable

clumps.

5. Hemp good for fishes digestive tract? Maybe, but even

cooked the crunchiness is hardly diminshed. Do you remove

all the seed husks? The crunchy texcture may act asa

scouring agent.

6. Beneficial properties of the hemp? Perhaps some are

denatured through boiling - some of more volatile essential

oils in particular. But the main usable digestive content (the

seed kernel) becomes more accessible to the fast acting

digestive tract once the seed is split. The pharyngeal teeth

are only going to crush open a small percentage of unsplit.

Without sounding some kind of know it all which I certainly am not. I still believe there is no danger to fish from uncooked hemp.

There's no mention as regards to hemp preparation by boiling except that the boiling does remove some beneficial properties ie denatured. If uncooked hemp were to cause fish deaths I'm sure it would at least get a mention.

I wasn't sure about the meaning of denatured but a quick look on google told me it removes essential oils, this is quite obvious really as boiling hemp releases oils as we know. I thought hemp worked better if the oils were released but the oil in hemp is of more benefit to fish if left in the hemp & not dispersed in water as it is when boiled.

It's possible to split hemp just by soaking the soaking starts the germination. I shall try just soaking if nothing else my wife will be pleased.

Boiling to my mind in effect just splits the seed as it splits when germinated, so as long as the hemp is split to aid fish getting to the kernel more easily it is fine.

This is my view & unless it's proven other wise the claim that uncooked hemp can kill is twaddle.

Ok Jethro, I'll give you that the article doesn't mention specifically that uncooked hemp causes fish deaths but I'd like to point your attention to the first section of my cut/paste text... The mention of carp "rolled over" with hemp stuck in their digestive tract reads to me that the fish died or how else would the article author know the fish had hemp in the digestive tract??? X-ray anglers fishing specs there aint anywhere on the market!!!

I appreciate that your reasons/methods are valid to you and that you have every right to carry on as you do with your methods.

Someone did mention putting hemp in a flask and leaving overnight after covering with boiling water and sealing. This does work also and you are able to include any flavourings you might wish to add as I've tried this method also as well as boiling the seed and you don't have the missus bashing your ear re the smell.

As for twaddle, well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd rather err on the side of caution when using hemp in my groundbait etc..... Good luck with the fishing

Listen mate my remark regarding " hemp killing fish is twaddle " is quite valid, otherwise it would have a warning against using uncooked.

I suggest you read again the the passage you have posted ( first section ) which reads Carp rolled over with expanded particles ( not hemp )

Now I don't mind being put right when I'm wrong especially if I'm putting any animal in danger but your admonishing me over something I've read correctly is just a little galling.

This is compounded by the fact that it's you that indeed put the article on here.

The only thing you have right is everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even your misguided one that hemp is dangerous uncooked if fed to fish.

I believe you're claim re the dangers of uncooked hemp, shared by not only you but other anglers thinking they have more knowledge than they actually have is totally misleading to anglers just starting in the sport. You can err on the side of caution if that floats your boat but s side where no caution exists is curious, but stick with it.

For arguments sake you made another claim that I know is true re x ray specs. I recon you for one would benefit from a trip to Spec Savers.

This is swiftly developing into a slugfest over symantics .... 1: I'm not admonishing you at all.... You have your opinions and I have mine but there is a majority of opinion out there including many professional/media individuals involved in the sport of the same opinion

I cut and pasted the article to support my opinions alone but if hemp isn't classed as a particle then I don't know what is!! It's not that I think I know more than others (everyday's a school day!!!) I didn't suggest your statement wasn't valid, I said it was valid - to you!!! And also that you should carry on doing as you are as that's entirely your call.

I think we should agree to disagree on this matter and leave it be as this appears to be getting off topic.

As for Specsavers, they already have had enough of my cash but I'll still be on the lookout for the new X-ray range !!