Are you a Miss, Mrs or Ms?

I am Miss, until I get married, then I'm going to be Mrs.

My feminism rests on more than my name, which is frankly in my opinion quite irrelevant.

Originally posted by willman

the term ms was introduced in the 50's so that letters/publications could be signed without the need for christian names or initials that were used to follow Miss or Mrs.

it quite rightly allowed for equality for both genders, prior to the early 50's MIss,Mrs,Master or Mister were the norm.

It came in even before that, in the 19th century, when women were fighting for the vote and equal rights.

Married women were discriminated against, and were less likely to be taken on by an employer (think about even 40/50 yrs ago, when women teachers married: it was only just coming in that they could continue teachjng)

The term Ms was adopted by women workers in order to keep their marital status private.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

It came in even before that, in the 19th century, when women were fighting for the vote and equal rights.

Married women were discriminated against, and were less likely to be taken on by an employer (think about even 40/50 yrs ago, when women teachers married: it was only just coming in that they could continue teachjng)

The term Ms was adopted by women workers in order to keep their marital status private.

PT

you could well be right, however the first published acceptance of the use of the phrase in public was 1951, when a textbook showing draft letters used Ms as a signature for female writers- i do believe Emily Pankhurst was Miss right up to the end.

it is however an underused term & is probably more appropriate than some terms.

This thread is sexist!

I would like to put it on record that I am none of the above, but in fact a Mr!:rant:

Originally posted by spiderman

This thread is sexist!

I would like to put it on record that I am none of the above, but in fact a Mr!:rant:

Apologies, Spiderman are you a Mr, Master, Sir, Lord, Private, Colonel, Duke, Father.....................

My feminism rests on more than my name, which is frankly in my opinion quite irrelevant.

My feminism isn't limited to my title.

If it's irrelevant, then why does society continue to distinguish married women from single women? My marital status should be irrelevant to everyone, which is why I demand Ms. of those who insist on using titles.

And what's sexist about this topic, Spiderman?

I don't mind being a Mrs but after 19 years I still prefer to give people my first name. I don't feel as old that way.

Originally posted by Clare85

Apologies, Spiderman are you a Mr, Master, Sir, Lord, Private, Colonel, Duke, Father.....................

Like I said I am a plain old Mr, but you can call me sir!:D

Well actually it is sexist isn't it really (THE WHOLE TOPIC)....but not in the way that I have just directed the question to women and not men!

Originally posted by HappyHoosier

My feminism isn't limited to my title.

If it's irrelevant, then why does society continue to distinguish married women from single women? My marital status should be irrelevant to everyone, which is why I demand Ms. of those who insist on using titles.

And what's sexist about this topic, Spiderman?

Because us mesters weren't included or invited into the conversation!:(

I formally invite all gentleman to have their say in this conversation.

Okay - as the floor has been opened - I have to say I do not like it when people call me mrs. Miss isn't much better, and Ms just takes the michael.

How about just calling you by your name? Or is that too personal?

I dunno - hows anyone supposed to win at this titles lark?

Most people don't call me Mr. They have a pet name for me --- T**t. Have no idea why.

Does it really matter, when it all boils down to it, what a person gives you as a title? Its a two second thing.

Dragon