Pizza Express Division Street Overcharging

alas_alas

Was very disappointed with Pizza Express on Division Street in the city centre recently, who attempted to overcharge my OH for her wine order.

She quite clearly stated her order of two large glasses of house red wine over the course of the evening, but they attempted to charge us for a Shiraz off the list.

Upon querying this, the waiter shrugged and attempted to go through with the order, but I pressed my OH into arguing her case, which finally resulted in a refund of the difference (which was quite a few quid per glass).

I wonder whether this could have something to do with us using a 2-for-1 voucher, but it was barefaced cheek!

Just wanted to warn you to check your bill in there in the future. I've never had anything like it, having been there many times over the years for its reasonable fare.

Has anyone else been overcharged in Sheffield recently?

• 2 weeks later...

We havent been back since it took almost an hour to pay for our bill the last time we we're there (about 3 months ago). We had used a voucher for buy one get one on a main and appetiser, but because we had the deal we decided to get a desert as a treat. We still spent about £35 for two adults.. Not a cheap (but not overly expensive) night out. We tried to get the waitresses attention numerous times, but the moment we caught her eye, she would cross to the back of the restaurant. Eventually I had to stand up and talk to someone in order to pay. Im guessing we spoke to a manager, as she came back to our table very grumpily so and pushed the card reader at my partner. She received no tip. She was also lucky we didnt decide to 'dine & dash' as we were in MH and could have easily walked away without paying.

On the other hand, waitstaff may feel theyre losing out on money with vouchers. I think people forget when using them, you should tip on what the full meal would have cost without the voucher, and not what youre paying for... (So in our case we would have tipped on about £50 worth of food instead of the £35 we were charged) Though overcharging your customers is well enough reason not to tip or ever want to go back there again.

It's a shame really, as the waiting staff always used to be pretty good IMO.

Unfortunately, I've had similar experiences to alternageek the last few times I've been in, and now see it as an unspoken rule that you have to pay for your food before expecting a bill to arrive in good time.

Pizza Express - sort it out!

I've not experienced overcharging but Pizza Express varies tremendously in quality from city to city. Sheffield's is the worst I have ever been in. Service slow even though not many people in and plenty of staff on. My requested starter and dessert were both not available. The pizza dough was a bit undercooked, other people were served before us who came in 15 minutes afterwards, a main course salad was very dull, bruschetta was nothing of the sort - more like garlic bread with tomato on it. This place is rubbish. A recent trip to Ask around the corner was far superior.